Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what the deal is with the new Madone that some of the Team Discovery riders have been on? I heard many of the guys won't ride it because the frame wasn't designed to work with an SRM? Is that True?

The guy at my local shop told me that Trek has moved much if not all of its high-end carbon bike production to the Giant bicycle factory in Asia. I guess all high-end bikes used to be made in their main Wisconsin factory, but they've moved all the production to Asia? What's up with that? Now that Lance is gone, they go and ship production off to another--and not too well respected--bike company? The bike sure looks like a Giant.

Does anyone know if the new Madone is any good? I love my old one. Well, it's a 2005 bike, so it's not too old.

Check out UF-BRO http://veloz.vox.com

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
GrahamWeigh said:
Anybody know what the deal is with the new Madone that some of the Team Discovery riders have been on? I heard many of the guys won't ride it because the frame wasn't designed to work with an SRM? Is that True?

The guy at my local shop told me that Trek has moved much if not all of its high-end carbon bike production to the Giant bicycle factory in Asia. I guess all high-end bikes used to be made in their main Wisconsin factory, but they've moved all the production to Asia? What's up with that? Now that Lance is gone, they go and ship production off to another--and not too well respected--bike company? The bike sure looks like a Giant.

Does anyone know if the new Madone is any good? I love my old one. Well, it's a 2005 bike, so it's not too old.

I don't know anything about the rest of what you say, but I'd take issue with the idea that Giant is "not too well respected." They make really good bikes. Yeah, they dip well into the budget lines, which some people might look down on, but so does Trek. Seems to me that people still hold it against Giant that they got their foot in the door in the US with budget bikes, even though their top bikes are excellent quality.

·
Registered
766 Posts
It's tough to figure out what is real and what is not real when it comes to Trek rumors.

My impression is the Madones are all still made in the US.

However they may be sourcing Carbon Fiber from Taiwan, and/or getting fully formed CF tubes from Taiwan, and/or getting formed CF seatstays from Taiwan, etc..

For a lot of the lower end bikes, beach cruisers, mountain bikes, etc.. they have apparently sent a lot of the work overseas.

Serotta claims to be the only company left in the US that is building it's CF components 100% in the US. And it would certainly seem to have an effect on their prices.

·
Registered
647 Posts
treks madone is built in waterloo wisconsin. Trek has a new bike coming out, but ive only seen a few pics. I doubt it would be made by giant. And they did away with the hump why would they bring it back, i say mr ufbro's site is a hoax

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
GrahamWeigh said:

Hmmm, Giant's carbon production division C-Tech has been doing carbon frames for about as long as anyone an do it at a very hight level. In fact after much research they are who Ernesto Colnago chose to do his outsourced carbon frames.

·
Registered
906 Posts
benInMA said:
Serotta claims to be the only company left in the US that is building it's CF components 100% in the US. And it would certainly seem to have an effect on their prices.
What foreign nations do Parlee and Temple rely on?

·
Registered
339 Posts
GrahamWeigh said:

None of Treks high end bikes are made in Asia, the only carbon bikes they make in Asia is the TCT carbon found only on their lower end carbon bikes. Giant definately does not make any high end bikes for Trek, I doubt they do even on low end bikes but I am not sure. Maybe some of their low end bikes share the same factory, not sure. Some people I believe just like to spread BS rumors. I am not talking about anyone on this thread.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I thought I recently read that the Giant carbon factory was dedicated only to creating Giant labeled frames. But when the 2 biggest names in the bike biz want to work together both have to "win". Presumably Trek would get a lower manufacturing cost and presumably Giant would gain from more volume.

If they collaborate on design, now and in the future; presumably both get design benefits or lower design costs. The latter being of higher importance to corporate shareholders.

I still prefer giving my $$$ to the smaller builders.

12 Posts
This guy's an idiot!

I have the REAL spy photos of the new Trek. No crappy photoshop here.

·
Two wheeled & too big
63 Posts
Sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

SPECIALIZED & GIANT SUCK said:
Duuude, those pics are supposed to be secret! You could lose your seat on the mother ship if you get caught posting those. :mad2:

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
GrahamWeigh said:

This bike was already on another thread after the Disco team camp in December. Years ago Trek engineers and Prez John Burke flew to Austin to show Lance a new prototype bike. It was a compact that was to be a departure from the 5900 Superlight traditional geometry he was riding. Problem was he didn't like it, so it was scrapped. What ended up being built was the Madone that he was willing to ride.

Trek simply wasn't going to pursue a bike that Lance would not ride. Now that he is gone and carbon keeps advancing there is no reason to believe that they wouldn't try to use that design. Eki was riding because the first design was built for Lance and their equipment was always pretty close in size. In fact Lance's proto "narrow bike" TT bike ended up with Eki after Lance gave up on it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
First off, you forgot to photoshop over the time logo on the crank and seatstay. Giant makes good bikes for several bike companies. Trek will move to Asia sooner or later. I wouldn't assume that is a bad thing. Asian companies are making awesome bikes.

Brian
TheRoadBike.com

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
SPECIALIZED & GIANT SUCK said:
you fail. chainstays and cranks. :p
(laughing my a$$ off)

12 Posts
Thanks for taking all this in good humor guys. My buddies and I have been dying here at work all day.

Trek will never make their high end in Asia like those other CRAP companies. Boonen won't even ride a Specialized. He had an aluminum frame welded by Dario Pegoretti for Roubaix.

What's my name?!?! HA HA HA

1 - 20 of 40 Posts