1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response, Derf.

UCI race requests were due between 6 and 8 weeks ago. The Warwick races were listed on the preliminary UCI schedule, but they've since disappeared. I've e-mailed Adam (Myerson), NEBRA, and last year's Warwick race coordinator. Adam was surprised that the Warwick races weren't listed, whereas all other NE Verge (and US) UCI races were on the schedule. I'm waiting to hear from the NEBRA rep and/or last year's race coordinator.

I think you're right. It'll work out, it will just take a little while. I'm a little uneasy because I jumped through all the hoops last year (requesting time off from work, making hotel arrangements, planning to meet up with friends, setting up dog sitters, etc.) to head up to Vermont and New Hampshire for their early-season UCI races, and both fell through. Those races are going to happen this year, which is great, but I learned my lesson on waiting until August or September to make plans for travel like that.

I will confess, I do need to be more patient. If I find out an update, I'll post. In the meantime, if someone hears something earlier, I'd love to find out more.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
December Rhode Island UCI races are on

I got an e-mail from the race coordinator earlier today. The December 6-7 races in Rhode Island are on.

I'm really excited. It looks like a great course - very, very different from what we see in the Southeast.

· eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
Like Gloucester, but more of a cross race and less of a grass crit... (not to take anything away from G-ster - it's a freaking kickass course too... different, just as cool)

· eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
it ain't an easy course - even done exactly the same way - it hurts...

sure would be nice to pick it to bits...

damn FnF's wacked out Promoter love must have rubbed off on me being all nice and "positive" about G-ster...

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rhode Island bound

Oddly enough, if something fell through and the Warwick races weren't going to happen, I was planning on coming up the weekend of Gloucester. We've only got one course that I know of that has anywhere near as much sand (Fort Yargo, GA) in the Southeast, and with the terrain changes and climbing that Warwick has, I'm sure it's a blast. Plus, it'll give me another shot to beat Myette (who I beat the first day at last year's Portland UCI race largely due to a very unsettling, early race crash, but lost to - badly - the second day). I'm actually all for a few grass crits thrown in to the mix throughout the year. Hendersonville, North Carolina races last season were held at a different-than-usual venue that had one pair of planks, a sand section that was kind of rideable, and a hill that most of the the A women, B men, and better riders could climb (thanks in part to an unusually dry spring and summer). This year's Hendersonville races are expected to be at their "old" location, which is much more varied; however, the grass crits that weekend made me a better bike racer and taught me much more about carrying speed through corners, pack dynamics, strategy, and, you know, cyclo-cross racing. Would I race that every weekend? Not if had a choice, but racing that and then, say, Amesbury, a week or two afterwards, makes for a more complete 'cross racer, in my view.

Others?

· check out the podium
536 Posts
danwerle said:
Oddly enough, if something fell through and the Warwick races weren't going to happen, I was planning on coming up the weekend of Gloucester. We've only got one course that I know of that has anywhere near as much sand (Fort Yargo, GA) in the Southeast, and with the terrain changes and climbing that Warwick has, I'm sure it's a blast. Plus, it'll give me another shot to beat Myette (who I beat the first day at last year's Portland UCI race largely due to a very unsettling, early race crash, but lost to - badly - the second day). I'm actually all for a few grass crits thrown in to the mix throughout the year. Hendersonville, North Carolina races last season were held at a different-than-usual venue that had one pair of planks, a sand section that was kind of rideable, and a hill that most of the the A women, B men, and better riders could climb (thanks in part to an unusually dry spring and summer). This year's Hendersonville races are expected to be at their "old" location, which is much more varied; however, the grass crits that weekend made me a better bike racer and taught me much more about carrying speed through corners, pack dynamics, strategy, and, you know, cyclo-cross racing. Would I race that every weekend? Not if had a choice, but racing that and then, say, Amesbury, a week or two afterwards, makes for a more complete 'cross racer, in my view.

Others?
Yeah, that was some crash. I still have to fix the hole in my skinsuit. I'm so glad I went out there to experience that and equally glad (in hindsight... it sucked at the time) that the PNW lived up to it's rainy reputation.

If I lived down south like you I'd plan the trip for the RI weekend in early December. That way you give yourself a chance at racing in the snow. There wasn't any of that up here last year (just a dusting of it at RI day one that melted pretty quickly and that silly natz schmatz thing) but the year before there were a few races in the white.

· Registered
98 Posts
danwerle, where are you in the SE? I'm in Asheville, NC. I've been toying with the idea of going up north for some races, especially since the season startes earlier up there and I've friends and family I need to visit. But I've found myself with the race promotor clipboard and will be putting on 4 mid-week races in Sept and Oct at Jackson Park (the "usual" Hendersonville UCI location). Otherwise, the calendar is pretty full between NC and eastern TN races. Those are probably not of the NE quality, but they sure are closer.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Myette, you're right. I'd love another shot in the snow. I can't think of many more venues that offer up the potential to race on snow-covered sand!

Sidsport, I'm in Nashville. Jackson Park is one of my favorite places to race. It's fun to return year after year to see how well I can get up "the wall". It's kind of a measure of fitness and training. I can't wait to return this November. The tri-cities area in East Tennessee has their dates set, and it sounds like it's going to be an exciting season out there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.