Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my Bell Sweep as a crash replacement today. I went with white because I decided it would not hurt to be that much more visible.

Both helmets are similar in weight (340g claimed, not actual). Upon first inspection, you get more surface area in the padding with the Ghisallo when compared to the Sweep, but after trying one on after the other, I could not tell the difference. The Sweep only comes with one set of pads, while my Ghisallo came with two. According to Bell, this was done to keep the MSRP down. The Sweep does benefit with the addition of "TAG" system which allows you to adjust the height of the retention system in the back of the helmet. The vents are similar in design, although the Sweep has 3 more for a total of 20.

I have not had the chance to ride with the Sweep due to my current condition (crash). Subjectively, I like the look of the Sweep much better, it just looks much more aggressive and "racier", which is probably good for about 10 more watts on a powertap :p.

On a sour note, the helmet came damaged from the factory (see pictures below). The Bell representative was quick with his response, but I won't know what they will do until tomorrow.

Here are some photos I took for those interesting in viewing the helmets side by side.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
I've had them both. They are sort of the same. The Ghisallo is the older design. The Sweep was a "TDF" introduction, but for the most part, you can't go wrong with either one, except black looks better IMO. :>

G

·
I was bidding on a Sweep and was outbid by a buck.
I want a white sweep or a Volt. Both look way
cool. I do have a Gihs. in black and its nice but I
think sweep/volt are razor sharp for looks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love my sweep. It was very comfortable and looks great!

Unfortunately, I had to toss away the sweep and jus tpurchased a Giro Atmos. The atmos is a great helmet too!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've used the Bell Ghisallo, Sweep and now the Volt. For my mug, which is more round than narrow front to back, the Sweep and Volt fit much better than the Ghisallo. I also like the looks of the Sweep and Volt better as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MTBAlex said:
I love my sweep. It was very comfortable and looks great!

Unfortunately, I had to toss away the sweep and jus tpurchased a Giro Atmos. The atmos is a great helmet too!
I was looking at the Atmos as well, but Bell helmets just fit me better in general. I also prefer the adjustment mechanism on the Bell over Giro.

·
Registered
839 Posts
A Sweep saved my brains a few weeks ago as well - and I even have the same color - and it's a crash replacement (I actually have two white Sweeps).

My wife also rides a white Sweep. Our favorite helmets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.