Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in love. OMG. Rides SO well. I <3 it. Can't wait to get up in the morning and ride some more!

What got me was the beautiful carbon swirly pattern. Pictures really don't do justice at all. It's like no carbon I've ever seen.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Girl when you get moving you really do it. Very nice bike. I got a test ride on one and really liked it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Only thing I'm curious about is why they used a FSA Energy front derailleur instead of a 105 - they seem to be roughly the same price.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Great looking bike! Enjoy.

·
Banned
265 Posts
i dont get it, you get a bike with an agressive geometry and then you put 3 inches of spacers , a riser stem and tilt the bars all the way up? why didnt you just buy a bike that was more slack and with a higher head tube, like a cervelo RS or a spec' roubaix, trek pilot ect.

people put too much emphasis on lookin liek boonen or kirtsen armstrong.

get a bike that fits, your bike is really nice, but its evident its not meant for YOU.

i dotn want to rain down on the new bike awesoemness, but its too bad you have to morph a bike into somethign liek that.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
AidanM said:
i dont get it, you get a bike with an agressive geometry and then you put 3 inches of spacers , a riser stem and tilt the bars all the way up? why didnt you just buy a bike that was more slack and with a higher head tube, like a cervelo RS or a spec' roubaix, trek pilot ect.

people put too much emphasis on lookin liek boonen or kirtsen armstrong.

get a bike that fits, your bike is really nice, but its evident its not meant for YOU.

i dotn want to rain down on the new bike awesoemness, but its too bad you have to morph a bike into somethign liek that.
She just bought the damn bike. Fit ain't a static thing. But if you really understood fit, you'd know that. Bikes don't fit like shoes.

I know that when I bought a new bike my shop put a bunch of spacers under the stem, which was also turned up. Horrors! Over the first couple months I had it I flipped and lowered the stem a little at a time.

It'd be really effing idiotic to have the steerer tube cut way down for a new-fitting bike.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
AidanM said:
The RD 1 is NOT an aggressive bike. The RC8 is.

Maybe she needs even more height. Maybe she has not had a chance to dial things in!

Stop raining on her parade.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Congrats!

I have a BLUE RC6 myself and love it! Great company and great bikes.

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, and ya, the RD 1 is not racing geometry. It is more relaxed than what I had prior to it. I adore it. Time to go ride it. Nothing could rain on my parade... I just got an awesome new bike!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
that is indeed pretty.....

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Congrats! Looks like a nice ride. :)
How many miles so far?

I've been curious about them myself as their geometry is within my preferences. Maybe one day. :)

·
Making memories
285 Posts
Congrats.

That is a cool looking bike. Ride lots and give us a report/review. I'm curious as to how it rides. I've ridden a blue RC6 and NX7; would be interesting to see what you think of blue's non-race oriented bike.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Preface: My report below is based on a comparison to what I've ridden for longer than just a bike shop test ride: 2007 Giant FCR3w, 2007 Giant OCR3, 2007 Scott Contessa Speedster, 2008 Schwinn Peleton.

I rode hills today for an hour on the Blue. Good lord the thing climbs like a beast (in a good way). I rode some hills I ride all the time, for comparison, and it was an absolute joy. I rode some hills I usually AVOID and was so suprized how well it climbed. Very comfortable, no hand issues, feet issues, or butt issues. Yay!

I was a tad worried about going from a triple to a compact crank with the hills we have near our home. I have no worries anymore. The hills I rode today are as steep and long as I would expect to encounter anywhere around here, and I had a great ride. 5 star. The 27 on the rear cassette made hills a non-issue. I specifically took on one hill that really challenged me a few months ago. Last time I took this hill, my heart rate was through the roof and I had to stop at the top, sit on the curb, drink and recover before continuing. This time.... NO PROBLEM.

Just so you know what I call hills:

1604 feet Total Ascent, 1615 total descent according to Garmin.

I took one picture with my cell looking back over one of the hills that really surprized me how easily I climbed it. You can see the stone barriers on people's lawns required to level out the lawn to give you an indication of the grade.

I may be slightly more fit now than a few months ago, but I would be surprised if my fitness had much to do with the perceived improvement.

I noticed right away, on the portion of the ride that is included in my daily commute, that the ride was SMOOTH. Very noticeably smoother ride. I now understand the term plush. After an hour, I felt like I could ride this bike for hours and hours more. I can see myself on my first 100 mile century on this bike.

I noticed at initial take off from stops the bike MOVES. It literally feels like it's jumping ahead. Same thing coming off of rolling descents to the incline portion. Powerful feeling. Not sluggish at all for me.

I was comfortable on the bars, hoods, and drops. Braking and shifting was supurb based on what I've experienced, even for my small hands (which I was worried about not on a WSD setup). Braking felt noticeably better than on my Scott (and I won't compare it to the Giant, cause that just wouldn't be fair to my Giant!). Riding in the drops on the Peleton, I had the issue of kneeing my self in the chest. I didn't care for that. With the geometry of the RD1, I did not have this problem. I felt very comfortable.

After I finished my ride, I showered and went for a massage. I'm honestly considering taking the Blue out again... I seriously could ride and ride and ride and ride on it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Looks nice. Looks real nice.
With a 34X27, you should be able to get over anything. Remember that the more that you like your bike, the more you ride, and the more you ride, the stronger you get. By the end of this summer, you'll probably be switching to a 12-25 cassette.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts