1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Campy Info:

Welcome back Super Record.

Also....

Chorus, Record, and Super Record will be.....11 speed. :eek: :eek:

Limited availability in Sept, will full availability coming in Oct.

Edit...Oops, didn't realize that it was already posted in another section. My apologies. :)

· Registered
1,536 Posts
It will be interesting to see how well 11 speed is received. For those who run clusters like a 11-23 or 12-25, I don't see the need. Now if you run a 13-29, or a 12-27, an extra gear would be a welcome addition. Everytime they add one more gear in back however, it seems to be of smaller significance though.I really thought 10 speed would be the end of it. Maybe if they go to 12 speed we'll start to see bikes with only one chainring.

· Registered
3,096 Posts
ti-triodes said:
11 speed? Another solution in search of a problem. I guess it was inevitable.
Even as a Campy guy, my sentiments exactly.

And I used to rag on Shimano for trying to answer the question nobody asked.:cryin:

· Registered
12,593 Posts
Where will Super Record fall in the lineup. Will it be a step above Record? How will it be different compared to Record.

What a pain in the ass this 11 Speed stuff is going to be. Right now, I have 5 bikes that are all Campy 10 speed, 4 with Record and 1 with Veloce. Having everything the same makes swapping wheels, cassettes, and chains rather easy. What a pain.

· Registered
988 Posts
Super record is lighter and more expensive - basically more carbon and Titanium as well as Ceramic bearings for BB.

· Registered
12,593 Posts
Is there any place online I can look at the Super Record? I have already bought Record derailleurs for my C50 build this winter and planned on accumulating parts little by little before the build, but now I might just wait to get Super Record. The one thing that would bug me is the 11 speed stuff. What would I have to do to run 10 speed on it? I would assume just use 10 speed shifters instead of the 11 speed ones, but you know what they say about assuming.

· Registered
507 Posts
I must revert to luddite status and stick with ten speed. I can't afford to upgrade every 6 months. I haven't even gotten around to ultra-torque yet and may never. I have too many phil wood bb's and they last forever. I am going to stick to the peddling end of it instead of the gear end from now on. I hope!

· Registered
184 Posts
fabsroman said:
Where will Super Record fall in the lineup. Will it be a step above Record? How will it be different compared to Record.

What a pain in the ass this 11 Speed stuff is going to be. Right now, I have 5 bikes that are all Campy 10 speed, 4 with Record and 1 with Veloce. Having everything the same makes swapping wheels, cassettes, and chains rather easy. What a pain.

What's your problem? You NEED to get the new stuff?:( I look at it as an opportunity to stock up on the old stuff.:D

· Registered
988 Posts
Yes 10 speed will still be offered but I guess it goes down the 9 speed road and all other older models - i.e. more expensive than 11speed.

· aka Zoo
763 Posts
I almost wish there could be a cap on bike technology. It's like the whole electronic shifting thing, when has it gone too far and when have we gone so far from the roots of cycling that we lose where we've come from. I got into cycling for the simplicity of it, yes, I like to have the newest and greatest but I also don't like change and this is WAY too much change.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
more to it...

Reportedly, the shifters, RD, cassette and new narrower chain are all unique to 11 speed and not backwards compatible. At this point, I would assume that the 10 speed cranks, rear hub and FD will be useable. If the narrower chain requires new chainrings, then there's more to buy.

· Registered
988 Posts
No, different cranks, cassette and FD so only hubs remain same but there is talk that 11 speed shifters can be made to work with 10 speed FD by using some adaptor plate.

· Registered
12,593 Posts
Vanilla,

You are completely correct. I mostly run 11-23 cassettes and there are very few days where I feel as though I need anything else. I have one cassette in 11-21 for time trialing, and another in 11-25 for the really tough climbing days, which I haven't really needed yet. So, I think I am going to stock up on some 11-23 cassettes and a bunch of Record and Chorus chains 10 speed chains. I'll upgrade when they end up coming out with 12 speed down the road, and I will still think it is completely unnecessary.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
thinner chainrings?

toonraid said:
No, different cranks, cassette and FD so only hubs remain same but there is talk that 11 speed shifters can be made to work with 10 speed FD by using some adaptor plate.
I'll be curious to see if the chainring teeth are actually thinner (currently about 2mm) or whether it's just another minor spacing change. In theory, the rings could stand to be .2mm closer together, which isn't much.

I can't imagine the FD being too big an issue. It takes 4 clicks to operate a current QS FD. Unless it takes more than 5 (the one sweep maximum) to use the wider 10 speed FD with an 11 speed chain, it won't be a big deal. FDs are one of the cheaper parts anyway. It's the crank that's the major item.

· Registered
12,593 Posts
The crank is the major component, but the rear derailleur and the shifters aren't cheap either. Sad thing is I was thinking about getting a FSA Team Issue carbon crank to use with a Cinqo power meter when they come out. I think I am going to hold off on everything until this winter when I can actually figure out what is going on with Campy and the guys at Cinqo. All these technological advances are giving me a serious headache. It was hard enough to try and understand all the new technology after having ridden the same steel frame, friction shiting, Super Record wearing, tubular using bike for the last 20 years. Now, just when I thought I had a grip on all this stuff, things change again.

· Registered
988 Posts
Yes definitely different chainset and given the new chain being 5.5 I suspect its the chainrings being thinner as it also makes them a bit lighter but C-40 could be spot on too with the chainring spacing as I heard there is a new centaur chainset too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.