Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got them sorted and uploaded. So here they is.

I remember becoming excited last year when I heard NAHBS was coming to Indy - I never would have even thought that might happen, not knowing it was Don Walker's home. The date was kept in the back of my mind, and as it came closer, I jumped at the chance to volunteer for the event.

Friday morning I showed up for my shift as "Seminar A/V assistant," and wandered around on the floor for a good hour, losing track of time as I walked through the empty rows with the event pep talk going on at the back stage. Finally I found my way into the seminar room and took notes during Carl Strong's and Richard Schwinn's talks. These ended early so I wandered back onto the floor, staying until indysteel's volunteer shift was over and the event closed.

The next day we slept in and made it there mid-afternoon and spent the rest of the day there....I spent about 12 hours at the show over the two days. After that we met up with some Loungers for dinner....JustTooBig, DLMKA, Antonio_B, and Len. At the show I'd run into ChuckUni a few times as well, but he was unable to attend along with 180 who was sick at home (hope you're feeling better!).

I had a wonderful time - the majority of the builders truly are amazing artists, and every one I spoke with was friendly and eager to speak about his or her work. Thanks, those of you here on the board.

So, the pics....I'll go through some general ones and components, then move onto the bikes.

The calm before the show.

Carl and Richard.

Park 'n ride.

The crowd:

The new, unreleased SRAM Tornado - goes from freewheel to fixie in a turn of a screw. They were also showing Red shifter innards and had a bike set up with HammerSchmidt cranks...want!

Cielo bits:

Shimano's Yumeya kit for XTR - gold chains for your mt. bike. Not my thing but very nicely done. I also tried out Di2 and was impressed, mostly for the front drivetrain. I found it somewhat useless for the rear.

White Industries beans.

Selle An-Atomica saddles booth, with their pretty neat testing setup.

Some things I picked up at the Zullo/Biciclista booth. I saw the Fiat 500 and had to have it, and they threw in the hat. Very, very friendly people, gorgeous bikes, and nifty jerseys.

Sorry for the angle...it was necessary to avoid obstructing the Fiat. Yes, that is the top of a lotion bottle. No, it's only used for my hands and face.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Is that a D300 in your hands, or are you just happy to see me?

joe

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now the bikes. Hollywood, these are for you.

This was one of the first bikes I saw and definitely one of my favorites, from Naked Bikes. Gorgeous deep red paint, lugged wood seatpost, chrome rear triangle, handmade pedals, wooden inlays in the bearings....it went on and on.

Naked's other one. Apparently one of their employees had done some blacksmithing in another job so he put some of his skills to use here.

Villin's mt. bike. I couldn't decide which was more beautiful, this or Black Sheep's.

Black Sheep's 36er.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carl Strong's ti example. This one brought to mind some of the Harley tanks I've seen - I dig the clearcoat over the brushed metal, coupled with the red and windows. Even the Strong nameplate had ti showing through the letters.

Ellis Cycles, with an impressive overall showing of frames. Indysteel and I both loved these, especially the blue winning frame and the white one.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indysteel and I talked to Renold Yip and his wife for quite a while. Along with Dave Wages, we'd have been hard pressed to find nicer people at the show. Yip put an interesting array of little touches into his frames that really pulled them together. He was showing his 650b demo mt bike, a customer's touring frame, and his "go-fast" personal bike.

Another personal fav of the show, Brian Anderson's cruiser-ish bike in the style of classic motorcycles.

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
Nice pics! Sorry I didn't make the dinner! I didn't get to do half the things I was looking to do, too little time. I did spend tons of time at the show and got to meet a whole bunch of people.

I also *just* made it back to Philly with 2hrs to spare before my body unleashed on me from some type of stomach virus. Still ill, but getting better. It's like an unwelcome spring weight loss program.

I got a chance to take a 20sec spin on the 36er! That thing is awesome!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Fabuous pics Girch.

Chuck..I got the same bug Sun night....yech.

Len

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
Len J said:
Fabuous pics Girch.

Chuck..I got the same bug Sun night....yech.

Len
Weird. Must have been going around. I know of at least one other person who got it as well. And 2 others that felt odd but did not get violently ill.

Great job with the pics Girchy. The light in there wasn't the best but these look really nice.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
fantastic pics, Girchy...

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Some things I picked up at the Zullo/Biciclista booth. I saw the Fiat 500 and had to have it, and they threw in the hat. Very, very friendly people, gorgeous bikes, and nifty jerseys.

Sorry for the angle...it was necessary to avoid obstructing the Fiat. Yes, that is the top of a lotion bottle. No, it's only used for my hands and face.
PSSSST.... hey, Buddy........... I got 30lbs I'll loan you if you'd like to make that jersey fit! :D

·
Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
4,614 Posts
Where are the nekkid pics of Len at dinner? One too many non-alcoholic St. Pauly Girls I'd say.

:D

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Fantastic work, Girchy.

The details on that Naked bike are f-ing breathtaking.

And clearly you share my lust for headbadges.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Antonio_B said:
Where are the nekkid pics of Len at dinner? One too many non-alcoholic St. Pauly Girls I'd say.

:D
You said yoou wouldn't tell.:eek:

Len

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Fantastic work, Girchy.

The details on that Naked bike are f-ing breathtaking.

And clearly you share my lust for headbadges.
Thanks, man.

What headbadge lust?

Then there's this bike...I feel sorry for the poor sap who paid for that paint job, it's rubbish.

//I had such the opportunity to do something to that bike. Damn.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ChuckUni said:
Weird. Must have been going around. I know of at least one other person who got it as well. And 2 others that felt odd but did not get violently ill.

Great job with the pics Girchy. The light in there wasn't the best but these look really nice.
That's weird - hope you and Len are feeling better!

Thanks...I figured at least some of the 952 would come out ok. :p

Glad you made it down regardless - no biggie about dinner. I hope you had a great time, it was nice meeting you and your brother!

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JustTooBig said:
PSSSST.... hey, Buddy........... I got 30lbs I'll loan you if you'd like to make that jersey fit! :D
LOL! Sorry, I'll pass. It wouldn't stick anyway....you saw me with my beer along with the burger and appetizers.

I wish the jersey was a little tighter around the middle honestly, but that was the only size they had and the M's were too small around the arms and shoulders. But hey, the Fiat's cute!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts