Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a link to some stuff coming out in 2009. Trickle down effect is certainly there with the tarmac expert getting the same frame design as the SL2 (similar to the SL2 Pro) but with monocoque construction and 8r fiber. Roubaix SL2 looks to be the "it" bike for specialized next year. Road tubeless tire also looks very interesting. Enjoy :thumbsup:

http://www.rbaction.net/fly.aspx?layout=content&taxid=67&cid=274
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,019 Posts
nis240sxt said:
Here's a link to some stuff coming out in 2009. Trickle down effect is certainly there with the tarmac expert getting the same frame design as the SL2 (similar to the SL2 Pro) but with monocoque construction and 8r fiber. Roubaix SL2 looks to be the "it" bike for specialized next year. Road tubeless tire also looks very interesting. Enjoy :thumbsup:

http://www.rbaction.net/fly.aspx?layout=content&taxid=67&cid=274
Good stuff, thanks for posting. I'm confused by Spec Tarmac Expert's change from 8r/ AZ1 construction last year to 8r/ triple monocoque this year. I understand the molds are shared with the SL2, but that just dictates tubing shape. Could be a move to keep pricing down in the face of dismal economic times, who knows. On the plus side (IMO), it's still full Ultegra.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, the expert and the pro seems to have received the SL2 trickle and accordingly to make them at the their appropriate pricepoints, the expert will receive the 8r/monocoque. I wouldn't sell that short though because before I got my SL2, I was riding a bottom rung tarmac elite and was very impressed. That bike has 6r/monocoque construction and totally blew me away on how good it was so I can only imagine the expert will be just as good as the regular SL2 but maybe a tad heavier, that's it IMO. Check out the 2009 pro pic I found. White bike anyone?? :eek:

 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,019 Posts
nis240sxt said:
Yep, the expert and the pro seems to have received the SL2 trickle and accordingly to make them at the their appropriate pricepoints, the expert will receive the 8r/monocoque. I wouldn't sell that short though because before I got my SL2, I was riding a bottom rung tarmac elite and was very impressed. That bike has 6r/monocoque construction and totally blew me away on how good it was so I can only imagine the expert will be just as good as the regular SL2 but maybe a tad heavier, that's it IMO. Check out the 2009 pro pic I found. White bike anyone?? :eek:

I totally understand your logic. I have a Comp (6r/ monocoque), but it seems a step backwards to adapt an older technology (currently employed on their lower end carbons) on a bike that previously used AZ1. Using the SL2 mold doesn't incur extra cost to Spec, because it's already employed on the upper end frames, but the methods of construction are labor intensive, thus incur costs. It's going to be very interesting to read reviews of the Expert (and the Pro?) to see what the end results are. Just my 2 cents.

Where'd ya find the pic? Beautiful bike.
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,019 Posts
Dr_John said:
Yes, that's my guess too.

Note how they dumped the spacers for the 2009 photo? It's definitely faster than the 2008 model. :)
Yes, much more aero without all those ugly (and weighty) spacers. Funny thing is, they left them on the Tarmac.
Gotta say, that white Tarmac Pro is one beauty of a bike. Does it fall under the realm of conspicuous consumption if I buy it and store it for later use?? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Nope, that's patriotism. The economy needs you! :)



PJ352 said:
Yes, much more aero without all those ugly (and weighty) spacers. Funny thing is, they left them on the Tarmac.
Gotta say, that white Tarmac Pro is one beauty of a bike. Does it fall under the realm of conspicuous consumption if I buy it and store it for later use?? :D
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,147 Posts
Roubaix SL2 = hotcakes.

Hopefully with the 2009 roll out they will get the supply issues worked out with the Tarmac SL2s, and especially with the Transitions. They severely underestimated demand on that one.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,931 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,931 Posts
Ugh... and I'm an idiot - the chainstays have been increase in "height". That makes sense. Not sure why I was reading that as length increased. I guess maybe because I thought that's what they'd do. Looking at the photos I posted, yep, pretty easy to see the chainstays are higher (wider?) on the 2009.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Dr_John said:
Ugh... and I'm an idiot - the chainstays have been increase in "height". That makes sense. Not sure why I was reading that as length increased. I guess maybe because I thought that's what they'd do. Looking at the photos I posted, yep, pretty easy to see the chainstays are higher (wider?) on the 2009.
Nah, easy mistake to make. 48mm is stout though! I remember (way) back in the day thinking my Hutch Trick Star had a HUGE downtube- and it was only like 1 3/8 or 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Now chainstays are bigger. Hmmmph.
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,019 Posts
the sky above said:
Are you guys saying the 2008 Tarmac Expert uses a better frame than the one the one the 2009 Tarmac Expert will come with? Eg, the 2008 comes with AZ1 construction, the 2009 with monocoque construction?

Perhaps a buyer might want to buy a 2008 in a hurry?
I can't speak for others, but I'm leaning that way. Of course, no one knows for sure until the bikes are out and available. There's also the possibility that, in reality, AZ1 was just a variation of the manufacturing process (the Spec website describes it in detail) and there will be no discernable difference in ride quality between it and monocoque. I always suspected that was the case, anyway. And they're now using the SL2 mold for the Expert, which wasn't done on the '08's, so we'll see how that affects the equation.

As far as buying an '08 Tarmac, I wish everyone luck. In my size (52cm) there was only the Pro frameset still available - and that was a month ago. I'm glad I bought my Comp when I did. :)
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top