Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Record crank with 39/53 rings. They are starting to look like shark fins. Are below statements all true, if not please correct me where wrong.

Get newer 2011-14 rings (inner and outer) and get new type of chainring bolts

Get the correct 39t inner ring and any year outer keep old bolts

Find some NOS 10s rings they work on an 11s crank just fine

Buy a new Chorus crank from ribble because it is almost as cheap as two new rings and down the road you can have any gearing you like. Who care if it is not Record.

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
Buy a new Chorus crank from ribble because it is almost as cheap as two new rings and down the road you can have any gearing you like. Who care if it is not Record.
I did this for a Centaur crank... Centaur rings were impossible to find (the one or two years where they weren't stamped but don't fit Chorus/Record rings), so I bought a cheap Chorus (11 spd actually but still a 10 speed drivetrain) crankset for under $200, and while I was at it I switched to compact.

Flawless performance so far. The new rings really resist corrosion far better than the old ones due to the new finish.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all!

Checking out ebay it seems like if I am willing to wait I can probably get a 2014 era crank with 39/53 for less than the price of rings alone. That would give me the rings and proper bolts and arms for a future project, perhaps.

I see some complete Athena Power-Torque cranks with 39/52 rings. No mention of BCD, year, etc. but the markings on the rings look like Chorus/Record/SR ones that followed my 2009-10 markings (solid campagnolo on inner ring and XPSS on outer). Would those have the same new threaded inner ring and new style bolts. Perhaps a more direct way to ask the question is would a 39/52 Athena crank marked with XPSS rings be all I need to replace my 09/10 rings?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
Campy has had a history of making lower-than-Chorus cranks/rings incompatible with Record/Chorus. Looking at the current parts catalog this still seems to be the case for Athena. So not only is the crank design different (Power vs Ultra-torque), but the rings likely have a different offset on at least one of the holes, making them not run round (sideways) without modification, which is rather tricky.

I believe the newest 4 hole system is compatible all the way down to Potenza.

·
all the gear - no idea
267 Posts
power torque cranks = complete and utter PITA (latest version just might be better) Get the Chorus crankset or specialites TA campy chainrings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts