Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went to my LBS to get a new pump and lo and behold, a 2009 Roubaix (base model)... compact, 105 components with some no-name brakes (Tektro?). They want (wait for it...) $1299.

I'm so tempted... If they'd be willing to eat another $100 to cover taxes I just might do it. Need... to... impose... self... control.... erg...

·
Registered
99 Posts
heffergm, Looking at the actual specs of the standard 2009 Roubaix, it looks like there were other parts of the bike besides the brakes that are non-105, Tektro is a brake that other builders such as Felt have used in the past to reduce their overall cost. I also noticed that they used a FSA Gossamer crank on the bike. Nothing against FSA, I really like some of their cranks, but the Gossamer is one of their lower end cranks. Whereas, on the Neuvation, all of their bikes, have full sets of whatever group you specify. You mentioned that you were going to go to the Rival brakes on the Neuvation, but all in all, still SRAM brakes.

Now, the 2009 Roubaix was originally a $1900 bike, so $1299 doesn't sound extremely out of line. But, do realize you are buying basically a 2 year old bike, similar to buying a new car that is a leftover from the previous model year. Also, there is a difference in the carbon used on that line of Roubaix. They point out that the frame used 6r carbon, in comparison to the 7r of the Comp models, 9r in the Expert and Pro lines, and 10r in the S-Works line of Roubaix. I'm not a good enough rider to notice all those differences, but someone more qualified than me, may be able to give you an honest answer to your what this would mean for you.

I am personally considering the Neuvation FC100 with Force for purchase next season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts