Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had NO plans of buying a bike today. Just stopped in the shop for other stuff... conversation turned to SS... The manager said "I've got a bike for you..." Side note: I have two single speeds already. But, he rolled out an XL Draft and said "Just needs a back wheel (bent and broken spokes). I said "Nah." He said "$10." I said "Done." I needed a neighborhood bike anyway.

So... where can I find a cheap replacement for that back wheel - Performance, PricePoint, etc. have nothing. It's a 700, SS - not sure the width, e.g. wider than road bike, narrower than mtb...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
David Loving said:
photo please!
Could this bike be anymore nondescript? My "plan" for the $10 Special is to strip it to the frame and rebuild it without buying anything but cables and a wheel... using cast-offs from my other bikes. The bike is only a year old but it was obviously ridden a lot and looks/feels 10 years old - dirty, loose/rough bearings, scratched up, etc. Might even go fixie on this one ;)

And I'll have to repaint that frameset... thinking matte powder blue with chocolate brown highlights - a classic SE scheme!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, this bike must be just plain lucky! First the $10 thing. Now this - I took the wheel to my "real" LBS (where I spend the big money) and told the tech that I had a challenge for him. I showed him the wheel - visible S-bend - and he said "Holy *#$& did it get run over by a car?"

He removed the tire/tube, loosened the spokes, found the biggest bend... and WHACKED it on the floor (carpeted). He went from the truing stand to the floor several times. Finally truing it in the stand - with the spokes. It's as straight as new, spokes seem uniform in tension and no damage to the sidewall. No new wheel!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts