Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a mountain biker wanting some road action, have 2 high end specialized mountain bikes and was strongly considering the new redesigned 2009 allez elite, its a good looking bike specced well enough and a good price,

i was looking at their other bikes and was drawn towards the roubaix, which can scream along but has a more comfortable ride, the entry level carbon frame elite has the same componants as the allez but is 600 euros more, my budget can stretch a lot higher than the allez but am i really getting 600 euros more of a bike with the roubaix elite?

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I ride a 05 Allez Elite and love it. Over the years it has been upgraded here and there but overall the fit and the ride are nice. At least for me.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
You're going from aluminum to carbon. The ride of the carbon Roubaix is sweet. I have an 08 expert. Yes, I think the extra bucks are worth it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rode around the parking lot on an 08 s works roubaix, did the same thing on an allez, cant really tell much of a difference accept the allez is a bit heavier, both feel stiff but coming from 2 full suspension mountain bikes it would be logical that they would, however i dont think youd be able to tell much of a difference in a car park anyway, they dont have any test bikes and if i want a specific bike they dont have theyll order it in on so i want to have all the info i can here before i go for one

the roubaix elite has a fact 7 carbon frame, whats the difference between a fact 7 frame and a fact 9 frame on the expert, is there one? is it marketing hype' is the low end fact 7 carbon frame 600 euros better than the E5 aluminium frame on the allez or do you have to move up to the higher end carbon frames to appreciate the difference?

·
Registered
93 Posts
My first roadbike was an Allez. I love it, but I am making the switch to a carbon giant tcr frameset. They both have similar compact geometry. There are many deals to had on 2007-08 unridden Giant framesets/bikes.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
rode around the parking lot on an 08 s works roubaix, did the same thing on an allez, cant really tell much of a difference accept the allez is a bit heavier, both feel stiff but coming from 2 full suspension mountain bikes it would be logical that they would, however i dont think youd be able to tell much of a difference in a car park anyway, they dont have any test bikes and if i want a specific bike they dont have theyll order it in on so i want to have all the info i can here before i go for one

the roubaix elite has a fact 7 carbon frame, whats the difference between a fact 7 frame and a fact 9 frame on the expert, is there one? is it marketing hype' is the low end fact 7 carbon frame 600 euros better than the E5 aluminium frame on the allez or do you have to move up to the higher end carbon frames to appreciate the difference?

you need a longer test ride; however, if your road biking experience limited it may not matter as you might not know what feels right. anything UNcomfortable should be pretty evident tho

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Over the last several years Specialized has improved how they build carbon frames. They get lighter, stronger, more compliant and other marketing hype words. The technology has trickled down to the lower priced frames. The fact 7 was their top of the line just a few years ago. The E 5 aluminum was top of the line before carbon came along. Fact 7 carbon may be their low end carbon, but it's excellent stuff. I'm a steel & Campy guy. One of the reasons I went with Specialized to try a carbon frame was the lifetime warranty. I'm very pleased with the carbon frame. Not so much the Sram Rival.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the only option i have unfortunately is specialized, i have good relations with the boss of the shop and ill get a good discount whichever bike i go for, i dont know of a giant dealer here the only other big name branch here close to me are cannondale and their bike prices here are obscene,

its a toss up between the 09 allez elite, the price is very inviting, or go the extra 600 for the 09 roubaix elite with the same componants, i can stretch to the roubaix expert but thats 1500 euros more than the allez, thats a lot of money that could be spent elsewhere and could also be more than i need, i admit i love carbon bikes and bling componants as much as the next guy but i have to be realistic at the same time,

ill be using the bike for strength training, long distance road rides and to experience some serious speed, im also only weigh 140 and not a powerful rider, i dont muscle the bike around im not good at high speed cruising on the flats, i do have stamina and am a good climber though

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
+1

jd3 said:
Over the last several years Specialized has improved how they build carbon frames. They get lighter, stronger, more compliant and other marketing hype words. The technology has trickled down to the lower priced frames. The fact 7 was their top of the line just a few years ago. The E 5 aluminum was top of the line before carbon came along. Fact 7 carbon may be their low end carbon, but it's excellent stuff. I'm a steel & Campy guy. One of the reasons I went with Specialized to try a carbon frame was the lifetime warranty. I'm very pleased with the carbon frame. Not so much the Sram Rival.
People forget that '09's low end carbon was '06's high end. I went from a steel Serotta to an '08 Tarmac Comp (6r triple mono) after riding lots of brands/ models and IMO it is close to the Serotta in road feel. Simply a great frameset.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so between their high grade E5 aluminium or their low end carbon, with 600 euros in the difference between the 2, which would you guys go for?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts