Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just finished putting together my dream bike a few days ago. Bike weighed in at 14.5 pounds with pedals and cages.

FRAME: Tarmac SL2 White Gold 56 cm
WHEELS: Reynolds Assault
GRUPPO: SRAM RED
CRANKSET: Easton EC90 Crank with ceramic BB
HANDLEBARS: FSA 44cm Carbon KWING
CHAIN: KMC X10SL Gold
STEM: FSA OS 115 120mm
SADDLE: Specialized Toupe
PEDALS: Shimano Dura Ace
HOUSING: Jagwire Racer Cable Kit Gold
TIRES: White Vredestein Fortezza TriComp Slick
CAGES: Pro Carbon
COMPUTER: Sigma Rox 8.0

·
Registered
717 Posts
Gorgeous bike! I am truly envious, though that bike would far exceed the abilities of it's motor, in my case.
Just curious, what do you think of the TRP brakes? I've been eying the Feather brakes and TRPs. Have fun!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments! The bike has been truly a pleasure to ride. Quick & smooth. The stiffest frame I've been on.

The wheels are extremely stiff yet still smooth. Riding a full carbon hoop is amazing. In terms price performance you can't go wrong with the Reynolds.

The brakes are excellent. Very light and strong. That being said, I've only tried these brakes on the Reynolds carbon rim and you don't get the same stopping power as on an aluminum rim.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Wow. Nice build. I'm on pro sl2 w assaults/record10 and absolutely love it. The wheels are really great so far. I'm running gp4 seasons, which have prolly taken a bit away from them.
I'm still experiencing a bit of seatpost slippage. I pasted it, and hope to alleviate the issue b4 I start sanding it down.
How do the white tires work for you? You like that tire?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jhamlin38 said:
Wow. Nice build. I'm on pro sl2 w assaults/record10 and absolutely love it. The wheels are really great so far. I'm running gp4 seasons, which have prolly taken a bit away from them.
I'm still experiencing a bit of seatpost slippage. I pasted it, and hope to alleviate the issue b4 I start sanding it down.
How do the white tires work for you? You like that tire?
In regards to the seat post slippage, some carbon specific grease / anti-seize should do the trick.

The wheels are absolutely amazing. Hold their speed really well. Descending is a blast! At some point I may swap out the OEM bearings for ceramic bearings. The only thing so far with the wheelset has been the squeling/howl with the Reynolds supplied carbon brake pads. I have some carbon swisstops on the way...

In regards to the tires I've always been a fan of the vredestein Fortezza TriComps. They are rated up to 175 psi! The Reynolds rim only goes up to 140psi I believe so be careful... The tires feel very nice. Fast, forgiving and supple - even at 130 psi. Combined with the Assaults, they corner really nicely. I'm taking turns faster and more confidently than before. The Tarmac's steering is stellar!

Although the Conti's handle and roll extremely well, I never liked their braking performance. The tires would lock up on me pretty often. I've been fortunate in the sense that I rarely flat (2 in 4000 miles - knock on wood) with race tires.

I had an almost brand new pair of red tricomps lying around but the white just looked hotter....

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
treehugger said:
Nice build! How do you like the record?
Mine is actually Chorus-11 , substituting Record brake calipers.

I'm quite pleased with the Campy function & design, although I still "miss" an occasional shift :-o, as Shimano shifting method is so deeply ingrained into my mind. Another ride or two should cure that.

I setup the 50-34 rings and 12-27 cassette to equal the lowest gearing of my older bike's road-triple-ring (50-39-30 rings & 12-23 cassette) ... maybe it's a "placebo" effect due to the "thrill of newness" but so far I haven't needed the two largest 25 & 27 cogs, on my usual hill rides (the Tarmac is also 6 lbs lighter!).
If this "placebo" becomes permanent , I may switch to an 11-25, 11sp cassette.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
skibud2 said:
I have to ask, how much does one of these babies go for? I need to know so I can start saving up ;).
Doesn't matter. I only live once :) But yeah, I was saving for a long time and sold my old bike (2006 Allez).

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
the tarmac pro sl2 is about 18-19 hundred, vs c'dale and madones that are over a grand more, for the framesets.
i'm pretty impressed by these tarmacs. they're just about perfect. Not the "magic" of a 595 ultra, EPS, or Parlee. But certainly a phenomenal value.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
For 2009 Specialized discontinued the Pro SL2. Now the SL2 is only available as an SWORKS frameset. It retails for $2900. Not a big difference between the two frames, but still noticeable in terms of weight and stiffness when out of the saddle. For many, the Pro will actually be a more comfortable ride.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
treehugger said:
For 2009 Specialized discontinued the Pro SL2. Now the SL2 is only available as an SWORKS frameset. It retails for $2900. Not a big difference between the two frames, but still noticeable in terms of weight and stiffness when out of the saddle. For many, the Pro will actually be a more comfortable ride.
FWIW & IMHO, I'm finding my SWorks SL2 to be very smooth riding, with negligible road harshness. No worse, and possibly better, than my previous bike with Alum frame, CF fork, and CF seat stays (IMHO, these combination materials are a gimmick).

Higher TPI tires do make a difference in ride quality ... I ride Michelin Pro3Race, and I can definitely notice a difference relative to cheaper entry-level tires. For this reason alone, I prefer "race" tires.

BUT -- my So Calif roads are all pretty good ... generally good asphalt ... no "chip seal" or frost-damaged surfaces.

The "more comfy" frame designs may be a non-issue for those riding in warmer climates, where roads are not subject to winter damage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tom_h said:
BUT -- my So Calif roads are all pretty good ... generally good asphalt ... no "chip seal" or frost-damaged surfaces.
Envious. Some of the roads here in the area suck. Especially in the spring time. The SL2 is wonderfully smooth on the roads here, especially with the full carbon hoops. Every now and then its a bit harsh over rough roads. I'm sure most frames would feel harsh over those rough patches except for maybe a Roubaix with 25's.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts