Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LBS has some killer closeout deals going on a 2009 Z35 and Z45. I am looking at these and at the Specialized Roubaix Comp. The bike fits well and, although the Spesh has a bit better ride and handling, I find the Z very close.

So, are the Z35 and 45 identical frames?
Are they worth getting for upgrade purposes? (Yank the old 105 mix-put 6700 on and better wheels)
Did the frame for 2010/2011 appreciably change for the better?

I'd love to hear from some Z35 or 45 owners on the topic. I plan on racing it (longer distances,no crits) and doing a ton of miles.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
359 Posts
The frames are the same, and I think 2010's are basically the same as well. The 2011's are supposedly a bit lighter, but the geo and basic layup is unchanged.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe the 2010s have a slightly different fork design that gives more tire clearance. I have an 09 and the 25mm Krylions I just put on barely fit (the Krylions are just a hair wider than the OEM 25mm Vittorias). Actually one side rubs due to a fork defect, but that's a separate issue, albeit exacerbated by the narrow fork. While I was at the LBS getting the fork looked at, I noticed the 2010's have much more front tire clearance. If you're always going to run 23s for racing, it's not an issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts