Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I switched from Vittoria Corsa CX tubular tires to Corsa EVO CX and Vredestein Fortezza Pro tubulars my fav trusty SKS Airbase pump struggles at 160 psi. That pump pumps crisply and positively. It's the best pump I've ever had( I returned my Park PFP-2) and works fine up to about 157psi but now I need a pump that will give me 200psi preferably without too much struggle. Any suggestion?
 

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, Thanks. BTW...

John Ryder said:
Goes to 230 psi.
Anything I should know about this pump before I purchase one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Yep, Silca is the only way to go

John Ryder said:
Goes to 230 psi.
Get the Silca pump with the big wooden handle. It has a steel barrel so it handles the pressure better than the plastic ones on the market and has a leather plunger gasket that is better than some of the rubber ones. That pump is completely rebuildable and will last forever. It is not more expensive than most other pumps on the market, but is made so much better. Get it.

Russ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Why do you want to ride at 200psi?


6was9 said:
Since I switched from Vittoria Corsa CX tubular tires to Corsa EVO CX and Vredestein Fortezza Pro tubulars my fav trusty SKS Airbase pump struggles at 160 psi. That pump pumps crisply and positively. It's the best pump I've ever had( I returned my Park PFP-2) and works fine up to about 157psi but now I need a pump that will give me 200psi preferably without too much struggle. Any suggestion?
 

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coz moi could...? No, Actually...

werdna said:
Why do you want to ride at 200psi?
I like to experiment with diff pressures and yes, partly because I could since these tires, according to what it saids on the sidewall :rolleyes: , could be pumped up to 200 psi, not that I would run them at 200 everyday on every surfaces ;) .
 

·
Every little counts...
Joined
·
3,924 Posts
200 psi? I don't want to be riding behind you when you run over a little pebble and your entire rear end disintigrates.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,421 Posts
Just a question.

Why do you NEED a pump to inflate over 200 psi ? The only place that you might want pressures over 150-160, would be on the track. The tires you mentioned, aren't track tires.
Please explain.
 

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, MR Grumpy, I'll fess up...

MR_GRUMPY said:
Why do you NEED a pump to inflate over 200 psi ? The only place that you might want pressures over 150-160, would be on the track. The tires you mentioned, aren't track tires.
Please explain.
This comes from my habitual pumping of road tires 10-20psi below mfg's max psi. When my trusty built-like-tank pump got dizzy and passed out at 160 psi it prompted me to say "Hey, what the hey! I need a new Super Stud Pump for these babies. :p "

You do have a point there, Mr Grump and Spun. But it's my nature to fool around and experiment with everything so I will still need that pump to get these babies up to 200 and check it out. Hey, who knows, I might be ridin on a track in near future... besides I need a second lighter pump anyway... this SKS Airbase pump weighs a ton although a great pump as long as you don't have to pump 200psi :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,372 Posts
6was9 said:
This comes from my habitual pumping of road tires 10-20psi below mfg's max psi. When my trusty built-like-tank pump got dizzy and passed out at 160 psi it prompted me to say "Hey, what the hey! I need a new Super Stud Pump for these babies. :p "

You do have a point there, Mr Grump and Spun. But it's my nature to fool around and experiment with everything so I will still need that pump to get these babies up to 200 and check it out. Hey, who knows, I might be ridin on a track in near future... besides I need a second lighter pump anyway... this SKS Airbase pump weighs a ton although a great pump as long as you don't have to pump 200psi :D

You realize rolling resistance measurements show a serious increase in rolling resistance at such high pressures. As I recall, for normal road surfaces, lowest resistance was somewhere around 120 psi.
 

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sheldon Brown's chart recommends...

asgelle said:
You realize rolling resistance measurements show a serious increase in rolling resistance at such high pressures. As I recall, for normal road surfaces, lowest resistance was somewhere around 120 psi.
something like 120psi for my weight range. I've been running 140 psi on my tubulars so far but less on clinchers. Do you know what the hype is about the tubulars and their ability to accept high pressure then? Is it just marketing ploy? I started on the tubulars because the carbon wheels I wanted came only in tubular rims. The sales pitch and the recommendation from tubular users were "yeah, you can't put such and such pressure on them tubulars" etc. I just got another cf tubular wheels because I ain't pay the kinda money they want for cf clinchers.

Since I've been riding them I like the ride quality of tubulars but then they were on Hyperons and the tires were Open Corsa Cx's with less psi.

As for Sheldon, he doesn't think much of tubulars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,372 Posts
6was9 said:
Do you know what the hype is about the tubulars and their ability to accept high pressure then?
I don't think it's hype. Tires give the maximum recommended pressure. For tubulars it's usually higher than clinchers. No one says the maximum recommended pressure is the recommended pressure; it's only the highest pressure the manufacturer says is safe for the tire.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,421 Posts
Conti's that are nylon can go up to 170 or higher. Vittoria's with a cotton body aren't supposed to go over 140 psi. Those are max pressures, not recomended pressures. Sure, a Comp 19 in back should be inflated to maybe 150, but a Comp 22 should only be inflated to 110-125 for max road holding.
 

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. Makes sense now. But...

asgelle said:
I don't think it's hype. Tires give the maximum recommended pressure. For tubulars it's usually higher than clinchers. No one says the maximum recommended pressure is the recommended pressure; it's only the highest pressure the manufacturer says is safe for the tire.
I've always noticed a bit of hype regarding tubulars capacity for high pressure. I admit that I guess I was one of those who made unreliable assumptions:

Shledon Brown:

Pressure Recommendations

Most tires have a "maximum" pressure, or a recommended pressure range marked on the side of the tire. These pressure ratings are established by the tire manufacturers after consultation with the legal and marketing departments.

The legal department wants the number kept conservatively low, in case the tire gets mounted on a defective or otherwise loose fitting rim. They commonly shoot for half of the real blow-off pressure.

The marketing department wants the number high, because many tire purchasers make the (unreliable) assumption that the higher the pressure rating, the better the quality of the tire


From http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.17.html

e[email protected] gave some of the historic reasons that tubulars were
preferred: higher pressures, lower weight, stronger, lighter rims. Said
that only a few of these still hold true (rim strength/weight, total weight),
but he still prefers the 'feel' of tubulars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
In addition to what the others have said about high pressure, have you ridden on anything but a velodrome with tires pumped up over 150 psi? I have been riding with lower pressures ( 105-110 psi ) on 22mm tubulars because the higher pressures transmitted too much vibration. Also, the lower pressures give a more secure feel while cornering.
 

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
They are different thing...

MR_GRUMPY said:
Conti's that are nylon can go up to 170 or higher. Vittoria's with a cotton body aren't supposed to go over 140 psi. Those are max pressures, not recomended pressures. Sure, a Comp 19 in back should be inflated to maybe 150, but a Comp 22 should only be inflated to 110-125 for max road holding.
"recommended" and "max". My Vittoria Corsa Evo CX saids "press" between 115-200psi while my Vredestein Fortezza Pro indicates "max 200psi." I've always inflated my tubulars to 140ish, as my older Vittoria Open Corsa CX saids "press" 7~10 bars, until I got my DVs and these new tires.

While I was on this issue and "learning" about what is optimal, recommended, max., press, etc I went thru the new Mavic brochure and their highest max psi for their wheels was 146psi, which was applicable to only to their 19mm road wheels. BTW I emailed Reynolds to find out what the max psi is for Stratus DVs, just to see.

Well, anyway I guess I should go console my deflated and dejected trusty old pump, tell it that it can remain as my main pump and cheer it up :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
BTW, there is one more issue - not only tires, but rims itself have maximal presuure, so before going to 200PSI consult manufacturer of your rims.
 

·
rock n rolling resistance
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
While we are on the subject...

MR_GRUMPY said:
Conti's that are nylon can go up to 170 or higher. Vittoria's with a cotton body aren't supposed to go over 140 psi. Those are max pressures, not recomended pressures. Sure, a Comp 19 in back should be inflated to maybe 150, but a Comp 22 should only be inflated to 110-125 for max road holding.
What psi d'ya inflate cross clincher tires, i. e, how low can I keep it w/o pinching? Cross thing is new to me although when in doubt I get an my cross bike now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,580 Posts
Only applies to clinchers

The pressure of a tubular tire creates minimal stress on the rim, and it is all compressive stress. A clincher tire is "trying" to bend out the side walls. A tubular is sqeezing the rim toward the hub, but minimally so. The difference in rim stress with a tubular inflated to 13 bar vs. 7 bar is minimal.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,421 Posts
I've only done a few cross races (a very evil sport). I'd be afraid to run a 700x28 clincher below 70 psi. A sew up of the same size can be run at 50 or even lower, if you are light. (Depending on conditions)
Like I said, I've only done a few. You might want to ask on the cross board.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top