Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Considering buying a set.

Rode Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL's for years as everyday wheel. I'm 150 lbs. soaking wet, didn't realize how stiff these wheels were or how much they beat me up on longer rides until I made a change this Spring. Both the SSC SL's and current wheelset (Shimano 7850 24c) had/have the same tire/tube/inflation combinations, so that wasn't the issue.

My concern with the Eurus is that for a guy my weight, I'll be reverting back to a workhorse of a wheel that will again beat the stuffing out of me after 50 miles or so.

Also, living in the Midwest, no mountains, but we have wind to spare. The SSC SL's would get a little dicey in 15 MPH+ crosswinds. Not sure of the spoke widths on the Eurus, but they're clearly bladed.

Any scrawny guys here ride these things regularly? Do tell.

THX

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I have Campy Shamal's, which are very similar to the Eurus, at least as far as geometry and spoking is concerned. No issues whatsoever in crosswinds. I find them very comfortable, but I'm at 170lbs, so that may make a bit of a difference. Mavic Ksyriums are pure crap all around (a triumph of marketing, mostly), so don't even try to extrapolate your experience with those to the Campy wheels.

P.S.: I forgot, do the Eurus have aluminum spokes like the Shamal? I thought they were steel at some point. If this is still true (steel spokes), then I'd expect them to be more compliant than mine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pirx said:
P.S.: I forgot, do the Eurus have aluminum spokes like the Shamal? I thought they were steel at some point. If this is still true (steel spokes), then I'd expect them to be more compliant than mine.
Thanks for you input.

From what I gather, the difference between the Shamal & Eurus wheels are in the bearings (Shamal = ceramic, Eurus = steel) and the hubs (Shamal = carbon/aluminum, Eurus = alloy). Spokes aluminum on both.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
The first generation Eurus (2003-2005/6) had steel spokes and internal nipples.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm also 150lbs. tried a buddys Ksyrium sew ups for a while on a carbon frame, hated them. Beat the crap out of me, killed my back. Much more comfortable on my old Eurus clinchers so when it came time to buy a new sey of wheels I went what I know, sort of, 2010 Eurus 2ways with Hutchinson Atom tubeless tires. Very pleased with them. And they are getting plenty of miles. Zero issues physically (me) performance (them) or reliability (still them).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
z5Thor said:
I'm also 150lbs. tried a buddys Ksyrium sew ups for a while on a carbon frame, hated them. Beat the crap out of me, killed my back. Much more comfortable on my old Eurus clinchers so when it came time to buy a new sey of wheels I went what I know, sort of, 2010 Eurus 2ways with Hutchinson Atom tubeless tires. Very pleased with them. And they are getting plenty of miles. Zero issues physically (me) performance (them) or reliability (still them).
Thor:

Appreciate your input.

Any estimate of how many miles on your current Eurus'? Have you had any serious crosswind issues?

Opportunity to pick up your current wheelset (2010 Eurus 2-way fit) for what looks like a good price (under $900, shipped). If I buy, likely continue to ride as a tubed clincher until I use up my supply of Vittoria Open Corsa's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Billum

Pretty close to 9,000 miles. No issues in crosswinds. one flat on the tubeless tires but they're now worn to the point that i do not want to be going down the road, handlebar to handlebar at 30mph wearing little more than my underwear so I'm putting some CX's with latex tubes on them for the week end. I'd love to buy a pair of deep carbon wheels but I'm hooked on the tubeless now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
eurus

no issues with cross winds, have had Eurus for two years now, about 8k miles, haven't trued them, would buy again, 190lbs

·
Registered
266 Posts
billium said:
Opportunity to pick up your current wheelset (2010 Eurus 2-way fit) for what looks like a good price (under $900, shipped). If I buy, likely continue to ride as a tubed clincher until I use up my supply of Vittoria Open Corsa's.
Just a note, you can get the wheels for around 725$ USD shipped (2010 2-way, camp/shim) from starbike.The Shamal's are under 900 USD shipped from the site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm running a set of Eurus with clinchers (Rubino Pro's). Love these wheels - I'm over 100 kg (sounds better that way) and have had no problems at all. I also have a set of Neutrons and they are slightly faster but the Eurus's look so damn cool that I keep them on. I get the stop and stare when people see the wheels. If the crosswind is that bad, I'll ride in the basement. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
calgary_jim said:
I'm running a set of Eurus with clinchers (Rubino Pro's). Love these wheels - I'm over 100 kg (sounds better that way) and have had no problems at all. I also have a set of Neutrons and they are slightly faster but the Eurus's look so damn cool that I keep them on. I get the stop and stare when people see the wheels. If the crosswind is that bad, I'll ride in the basement. :)
CJ:

At nearer my weight, z5Thor's posts relieved most of my concerns about ride quality, although he's riding tubeless and I'll be riding tubed, at least for a while.

It was after pcs2's post regarding starbike pricing (http://www.starbike.com/) that I pulled the trigger and ordered a set, although with shipping and credit card company fee for Dollar to Euro conversion, my ultimate cost was closer to $760.00. Labor Day weekend has slowed shipping, expect to receive later this week.

The G3 rear lacing system is kinda odd to me, but admit you don't have to wait to get close enough to read the graphics to know they're Campag wheels.

If I rode in the basement everytime the winds here exceed 15 mph, I wouldn't see the road until June or July.

Anxious to get the frame built up and give both Chorus 11 group (have ridden Shimano exclusively for the past 30 years) and Eurus wheels a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts