Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum is about to come alive again, so I thought I'd create a launching pad for tire geekiness. What's the latest?

Anyone tried the Clements?

Launch date for the Limus?

Anyone have the FMBs with the Racing Ralph tread?

Are the Hutchison tubeless with a kevlar bead going to make any difference in burping? Anyone else launching a tubeless tire?

Has Vittoria finally made a tire that doesn't suck (320 tpi, supposedly wider for a given nominal size, and supposedly now coming with a tread that isn't slicker than Kevlar)?

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Hmmm, hope the grey 290tpi vittoria's aren't horrific. My goal is to not finish last in cat 4 35+ races so my needs/expectations are probably a bit lower than most other users...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't heard much about the Limus, but I'm hoping to have a pair before the season.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am looking at the new Hutchinson tubeless with the carbon bead. Should be a better seal and less burping. I am also looking at some Challenge Grifo for my tubular wheels!

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
Well, I have Hutch tubeless on ZTR rims (355 and Crest) and that is one SOLID fit. I would go as far as to say impossible to burp. That's with yellow tape only. I imagine that those of you with canti's (I'm disc) might want to take a look at the ZTR Alpha 340's (if you desire a solid tubeless set-up).

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
no idea

on anything new
I'm not deserving of FMBs may wind up with a set
what I have
Tufo Dry Plus rear w/ Primus front (beater / training everyday set)
Tufo Cubus f/r (beater mud tires)
Vittoria File treads (beater file treads)
2 sets of 34 Grifos (extra wheel with Ralph tread on Grifo casing if I need more bite)
1 set of Fangos

I'm covered I think

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
atpjunkie said:
on anything new
I'm not deserving of FMBs may wind up with a set
what I have
Tufo Dry Plus rear w/ Primus front (beater / training everyday set)
Tufo Cubus f/r (beater mud tires)
Vittoria File treads (beater file treads)
2 sets of 34 Grifos (extra wheel with Ralph tread on Grifo casing if I need more bite)
1 set of Fangos

I'm covered I think
In your honor (and on your Visa...), I've been getting repeated lap dances from Latex and Silicon. They MUST know a thing or two about tires. Right?
BTW, I save visits with Autumn Rain for closer to the season kick-off, so you have time to get a credit line increase.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
amen brother

euro-trash said:
In your honor (and on your Visa...), I've been getting repeated lap dances from Latex and Silicon. They MUST know a thing or two about tires. Right?
BTW, I save visits with Autumn Rain for closer to the season kick-off, so you have time to get a credit line increase.
and pass the Mastik, I like keeping them close

am I the only one who trains on tubs?

the terrain is so bad here in SoCal that many times the 'good tires' will just get destroyed
hence the collection of beater tubs.

I converted my neighbor to all things tub and he loves them. We have 2 loops, one pretty nasty, one more civil and cx like. For whatever reason he likes the nastier course (less climbing) but refuses to use cheaper tubs. He was ruined one tire already this summer, maybe now he'll change his mind.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Currently have 1 set of Grifo 32s' on Ksyrium SL and a second older set of Grifo 32s' on Reflex/DA that are getting 'tired'. Also have Michelin Mud2 on clincher whlst.

Will be adding a Ksyrium ES wheelset to quiver and am seriously contemplating the purchase of 2prs of FMBs'. Thinking about going with SSC Sprint 32 pr for Ksyrium ES whls, plus either Grifo 32 or Fango 32 to replace old Grifos on Reflex/DA whlst. Have also considered FMB Gripo XL.

Recommendations on which FMB's I should go with to fill out the quiver?

·
veldrijder
444 Posts
GONE4ARIDE said:
Recommendations on which FMB's I should go with to fill out the quiver?
I don't know what the conditions you race in are like, but around here I could not get away with just a file tread and Grifo/Fango. I need at least 1 dedicated mud set (i.e. Gripo XL or Dugast Rhino).

If you don't get really heavy mud, the FMB SSC tread is a bit deeper than a Grifo or Typhoon, and would be a good all-arounder with the SSC Sprints on your other wheels.

So what I'm saying is if you have deep mud, get 1 pair Gripo XL and the other whatever you want for a faster set (SSC Sprint, SSC, Grifo, Fango). If your conditions are not that wet, get 1 pair of SSC and 1 pair SSC Sprint.

·
Registered
88 Posts
jmoote said:
I don't know what the conditions you race in are like.
JMoote - thanks for your input. I race in the northeast, so our conditions vary. The past couple of seasons heavy mud has been a rarity, at least at events that I have attended.

My original thinking was to get a set of FMB Grifos and along with a set of Grippo XL, but then I started to consider all of the other FMB options and reading reviews. This has led to my current state of paralysis from too much analysis! With all of FMB's 2010 options, this is going to be a tough decision.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I'm going to run Fango 34's for most courses and I'm probably going to go with the new Vittoria XM's for mud, size 32. I've read that the new tread compound is much better than the gray and is actually a really good mud tire. And they don't cost a million dollars.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I get mine from Molly Cameron. World Class Cycles also has them (and for a little cheaper), but I like supporting her business and racing. Plus, they come with a cool "Portland Bicycle Studio" hot stamp :)

·
veldrijder
444 Posts
GONE4ARIDE said:
JMoote - thanks for your input. I race in the northeast, so our conditions vary. The past couple of seasons heavy mud has been a rarity, at least at events that I have attended.

My original thinking was to get a set of FMB Grifos and along with a set of Grippo XL, but then I started to consider all of the other FMB options and reading reviews. This has led to my current state of paralysis from too much analysis! With all of FMB's 2010 options, this is going to be a tough decision.
Definitely get 1 set of Gripo XL and 1 set of a faster tire (SSC Sprint, Grifo, etc.) The northeast gets enough muddy races to warrant something pretty knobby in the choices.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone used the Ultegra 6700 Tubeless wheels for cross? I am interested in their durability. I ran Ksyrium ES last year tubeless but someone helped themselves to my Ksyriums when I had them in a wheel pit this spring and now I need new wheels.

·
Registered
960 Posts
It's a bit slower than a Typhoon. But I think it is just as fast as a Griffo. The older Racing Ralph tread is quite a fast rolling tread down the center, with good cornering knobs.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts