Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a Quick 3. So I do my research and Cannondale has on their website the MSRP for the 2010 model as $1069 yet the 2011 model they have a MSRP of $879.

I am a novice cyclist and I am not very knowledgeable about bicycle mfrs pricing schemes and how it works...but is this typical?

Why would I pay $200 more for a 2010 when the 2011 is about to be out and is $200 cheaper (I am assuming that Cannondale isn't using cheaper components on a newer model)?

Thanks in advance for help from the forum.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Viv Savage said:
I am looking to buy a Quick 3. So I do my research and Cannondale has on their website the MSRP for the 2010 model as $1069 yet the 2011 model they have a MSRP of $879.

I am a novice cyclist and I am not very knowledgeable about bicycle mfrs pricing schemes and how it works...but is this typical?

Why would I pay $200 more for a 2010 when the 2011 is about to be out and is $200 cheaper (I am assuming that Cannondale isn't using cheaper components on a newer model)?

Thanks in advance for help from the forum.

Isn't that part of your "research" ? :confused: I would think you need to check out to see if the components match up from 2010 to 2011....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Based on the "Specs" listed on their site almost every component has changed in someway.

For example: They have gone from a SRAM X-7 rear derailleur to a Shimano Deore. Some would say the Shimano is better, some don't. So is that an upgrade, downgrade or neither? I know almost nothing about bike components.

Part of my "research" is coming to a site like this to see if there were people knowledgeable with how Cannondale does things and advise me if this was a normal practice or not.

I just seems weird to me that there would be a model year DECREASE in price...with most things it is almost always the other way around.

Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like they are trying to position the bike differently in the marketplace to appeal to a more price concious consumer. They did this by lowering the component line and using cheaper gruppo.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yep, the Synapse 5 I was looking at for my wife has went down $60 too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts