Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured out how to view the on-line Specialized catalog for the 2011 bike range! The trick is to change the "sid" value in the URL from 10Tarmac to 11Tarmac, etc. Prices are not listed and some of the text is out of date (eg. references to Gerolsteiner), but you can see all the frame colors and the specs. Some of the geometry chart data looks bogus to me.

Click on the following links for Tarmac, Roubaix or Allez.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Hey, thanks. :thumbsup: They're finally offering the framesets with threaded or oversized BB. Nice to have a choice, and it eliminates the confusion. And correct about the geometries... those can't be right for Tarmacs.

A white one might have my name on it. Waiting for more info on the 2011 Felt F1.

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like they've discontinued the modules. You can either buy the Pro frame-set with standard threaded BB or the S-Works frame-set with threaded or OSBB, and buy your cranks separately in either case. The team geometry is not there either, as previously mentioned, so that's quite a reduction in frame/module choices.

Also, the S-Works Roubaix is now 11r, and the Expert/Pro Roubaix are at 10r, so they basically have carbon level parity between the Tarmac and Roubaix line-ups. If you consider that the Zertz are now bolt-on, it seems to me that the Tarmac and Roubaix are much closer in terms of manufacturing than before - essentially they differ in geometry and mold.

The Allez comp frame-set is an interesting proposition. It doesn't have the carbon seat-stays (good!), and comes with a carbon-wrap seat-post (hmm). Thankfully, it is only listed in the white/silver/blue color. If it had come in the red it would be much harder to resist.

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dr_John said:
Most definitely. Be interesting to see what the price is.
MSRP is $550. It would be a very easy way to upgrade my no-brand back-up bike into something special. And the geometry would likely be an exact match to my Tarmac. I'm not going to buy another white bike though.

The new Felt F1 looks very good too. Possibly too nice and too light as an "everyday" bike for me though.

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
826 Posts
I agree, that Felt looks very good. It appears to be well thought out and executed. I suspect it might do fine as an everyday bike.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks!

I checked out the 2011's and depending on the prices the Expert line in both the Roubaix and Tarmac would be where I would look. SL3 with 10r carbon! Anyone with the prices on the 2011 Expert Roubaix and Tarmac? I don't know why I'm even looking as I bought both a Roubaix Expert and Tarmac Pro this year!

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dougrocky123 said:
I checked out the 2011's and depending on the prices the Expert line in both the Roubaix and Tarmac would be where I would look. SL3 with 10r carbon! Anyone with the prices on the 2011 Expert Roubaix and Tarmac? I don't know why I'm even looking as I bought both a Roubaix Expert and Tarmac Pro this year!
Remember that the use of SL2 and SL3 on this year's non-SWorks bikes is more to do with product marketing than technical innovation. They are reusing the SL2 or SL3 molds, but the carbon and manufacturing process is not the same as the SWorks. My expectation is that the improvements in the 2011 bikes versus what you bought this year are at most incremental, and probably not noticeable to any but the most discerning rider.

The other marketing designation that is odd is the "M2" thrown in with the Apex and Rival bikes. I remember when M2 was a particular Al tubing that Specialized used. I don't know why they felt the need to throw in another unnecessary acronym.

Also interesting that triples have been banished to the very lowest spec of Roubaix only. And no 105 on Allez as already mentioned. It looks like big in-roads for SRAM with Apex.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Comp Triple is not the very lowest spec Roubaix. The new bottom of the line is the Elite (with the new Apex it is down from last year's $2200 to $1900), with the Comp the next step up. The web site does not list the bikes in order of price.

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BernyMac said:
I second the Allez in Red. Too bad.
It is possible that they will add more colours later, or that special ordering at the store will reveal more choices. They are probably testing the waters with the frame-set to see what kind of demand there is for it.

I definitely appreciate their efforts on this - Trek, for example, just wants to sell bikes (including personalized builds), and doesn't cater to the frame-set market at all. I think the Allez would build up into a great crit, road race or back-up bike (rather like a CAAD9 frame if you could buy one). None of the pre-built Allez options come close to the required spec as they are all speced down to low price-points to minimize overlap with the Tarmac range.

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
XavierM said:
Thank you for the links!! Been searching for weeks now for the 2011 Tarmac line-up!! :thumbsup:
You're welcome. They've probably been there for a while - just needed the right links to find them.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I definitely appreciate their efforts on this
Me too. Threaded or OSBB, a great frameset for $550, etc. Very nice of Specialized to provide a lot of reasonable options. The Allez frameset is also potentially great as a commuter. Getting a bit tired of my BMC Roadracer commuter, so we'll see.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ukbloke said:
I figured out how to view the on-line Specialized catalog for the 2011 bike range! The trick is to change the "sid" value in the URL from 10Tarmac to 11Tarmac, etc. Prices are not listed and some of the text is out of date (eg. references to Gerolsteiner), but you can see all the frame colors and the specs. Some of the geometry chart data looks bogus to me.

Click on the following links for Tarmac, Roubaix or Allez.
Thanks for the link bloke.

I just bought a 2011 Roubaix Elite yesterday and was not sure what other bikes were in the lineup. I think I made a good choice.

Is it just me or does Specialized have a complete graphic desing team this year? These color combos are outstanding!!

·
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
jason07 said:
Is it just me or does Specialized have a complete graphic desing team this year? These color combos are outstanding!!
They turned out much better than I was expecting - fairly simple and bold designs and colors. I don't particularly like the out-line font on the SL2 and SL3 graphic - looks like an afterthought to me, and doesn't match the other text.

I like the Cancellera frame, but hate the "finger-bang color-way" design on the Contador bike. Not sure about the Schleck frame. These will probably all end up in the hands of collectors anyway.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts