Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on Bike Rumor-http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/09/09/masi-drops-the-gears-with-new-2011-cxss-singlespeed-cyclocross-bike/
Anyone know any more details? Availability, rear hub spacing, etc...
Tim, got yer ears on?

Los

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have one pre ordered, I've been told by the Canadian distributor that ETA is Sept 16th, Oct delivery has been mentioned on Masi's facebook page. I don't need any more details than that, I want one. Hello SS monstercross.

·
Registered
45 Posts
$ ?

Saddle Up said:
I have one pre ordered, I've been told by the Canadian distributor that ETA is Sept 16th, Oct delivery has been mentioned on Masi's facebook page. I don't need any more details than that, I want one. Hello SS monstercross.
Did you get a CAD price quote?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Saddle Up said:
Dirt and mud comes off with a garden hose just as easily on a white bike as it does a black one.

most of the time... I've seen red clay mud 'stain' white bikes

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Kore crank uses an external bearing BB, 42 tooth chainring, 120mm rear spacing.

A short video of all three steel Masi cyclocross bikes from Interbike 2010

·
Registered
434 Posts
Smoothy said:
120mm...is a deal breaker.
Kind of have to agree. I did race a 120mm spaced SS crosser for a few years, but going to 130mm, there are so many more offerings. At 120mm, you have pretty limited options.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Smoothy said:
120mm...is a deal breaker.
120mm OLD? Great idea!
Fewer lightweight aftermarket hubs, weaker wheels for the off road trails that fat 45mm tires will tempt riders...
Awesome.

Los

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not sure I understand? The difference between a 120mm and a 130 mm SS speed hub is the amount of spacers on the axle, the hub flanges are the same distance apart. The market has a huge selection of 120 SS/FG hubs, not nearly as many at 130. What am I missing? Educate me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Saddle Up said:
I'm not sure I understand? The difference between a 120mm and a 130 mm SS speed hub is the amount of spacers on the axle, the hub flanges are the same distance apart. The market has a huge selection of 120 SS/FG hubs, not nearly as many at 130. What am I missing? Educate me.
Based on my personal experience, the offerings at 120mm are generally track hubs. Nothing wrong with them, but they generally aren't made for the rigors of off-road. Some of them state specifically that they should not be used off the track (something I've ignored from time to time).

You can use older hubs (6 / 7 speed) and respace them, as you mention, for 120mm. However, most modern offerings won't work that way. And with 130mm, all you need is a cog and spacer kit and you're able to run any shimano-splined rear. In addition, SS specific hubs from manufacturers like King and White Industries aren't available in 120mm.

120mm works, and as I mentioned, I ran it for many years for cross. After switching to a 130mm frame, I've noted that it's certainly much more convenient with more options available.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Masi, you listening?
120mm is just a bad idea. No advantages, loads of limitations.
Too bad. This was looking right up my alley.

Los

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
Is it steel? Might not be too hard to get a road wheel in there. But still, you shouldn't have to spread the drops.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts