Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing a new road bike to replace or supplement my mid-80s steel Raleigh Super Course 10 speed. Price is not a major consideration, and I am planning on testing a Trek Pilot 2.1.

I saw the new Mercier Corvus AL on BD, and its specs look pretty darn good for a purchase price of $900 (Ultegra 6700, etc.). Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cville700HT said:
Just wanted to mention, playing with the Corvus today I found that seat angle / tilt IS adjustable, the "rocker" is just more hidden than I expected.

Set out on a 10-12 mile ride this AM, made it about two miles when the rear tire went flat. I halfway expected a spoke poke / rim strip issue but nope, it was a glass or stone shard, dead center on the tire. That gave me reason to pull the rear wheel for the first time, the axle / cones were set fine, very smooth and the "right tight". Also with the rear wheel off I got to spin the crank with the chain off, the BB feels smooth, nothing crunchy or loose. Re the flat, not too bad walking in MTB shoes that fit the Shimano 520 pedals. (If you're an old clip-strap rider like me don't be afraid of clipless, these 520s adjusted for easy release are a piece of cake.)

Value in the Corvus? : I visited the local Performance shop today, they sell the Ultegra 6700 shifters/f/r deraileurs for $750 + $40 tax here. I'm a value guy, I like this bike.

I didn't get a chance to ride after the flat fix and seat adjust but it'll help for sure. Re the Mercier site words about "Al frame should use a carbon seat post" seems just silly, seems unlikely that 4-6" of exposed seat post would cushion a "harsh" Al frame. I'm just glad I can drop the saddle nose with the stock post.

I'm now trying to decide between the Corvus and the Motobecane Sprint. They seem similar. Any thoughts?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.