Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2011 SL02 Roadracer and was wondering if I was able to replace the 23 tires to 25's?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I've been changing over to 25's myself recently, and some frames can be very tight. Plus there are minor differences in the actual tire sizes. Michelin PR4's in "25" measure 26, whereas Continental 4000's measure 25.

My suggestion would be to take a, say 2.5mm allen key and check for clearance around your existing tires at the following points: rear brake and bridge, rear tire to seattube, rear tire to chainstays, and front tire to brake & fork.

My Cannondale is so close at the seattube FD clamp there is only the thickness of a business card as clearance with the PR4's. I may do a swap with the Conti's.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
FWIW: Actual inflated tire width depends on the bead width of the rims too. In my experience, 23mm wide rims increase tire width by ~2mm compared to traditional 19mm wide rims. For example, I have Mich Pro3 (now 4) mounted on a number of rims and they measure 23 wide on the traditional rims and 25 on my 23mm wide HED rims.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked hubby for a 2.5 allen key, but he gave me a spark plug gapper, which worked great. I looks like with the current 23 tires, I have about a 5 mil gap around the back fork, which is the narrowest gap.

I am currently riding with Gator's and love them, so I think I will stick to that tire.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW: Actual inflated tire width depends on the bead width of the rims too. In my experience, 23mm wide rims increase tire width by ~2mm compared to traditional 19mm wide rims. For example, I have Mich Pro3 (now 4) mounted on a number of rims and they measure 23 wide on the traditional rims and 25 on my 23mm wide HED rims.
Would rim size be what is posted on my rims, which is 622x14

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks looigi.

I had forgotten to confirm with the salesman that this bike could be fitted with 25's.

·
I <3 1911s
214 Posts
I have a 2012 Roadracer (51 cm), which should be the same geometry as the 2011 model. I swapped the tires out with some 700x25 Continental GP4000s with room to spare. I could probably go up to 700x28 but may have some rubbing on the fork crown. I'm using the stock DT Swiss 1650 rims that came with the bike.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
A question not about tyres, but related to the frame space: do you know if it is possible to install the complete Road Racer Mudguards MK2 from Crud?

Thanks
I had cruds on my SLR01. I can't imagine a frame they couldn't be made to fit. They were a pain to install, remove and adjust, keep from scraping, extremely fragile, etc.. I since got SKS Raceblade LONGs. (the LONG is important) These work great and provide nearly full coverage. (actually I used the front part of the crud rear fender with the RBLs because is shields the FD and chain better. The RBLs do weigh a bit more and are wider so less aero if those are considerations for your rain riding. Once the mounting tabs are in place under the brake fixing bolts, they can be clipped on and off in seconds and require no adjustment.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I now have 25's on my bike and there was no problem with the fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.