Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Neither link works for me - maybe they pulled it? It doesn't seem particularly likely to me that Specialized would push the SL2 frame down to the "Comp" level (though they might reuse the name I suppose). I clicked around the drop-down menu randomly and couldn't find any 2011 Tarmacs.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2011 Tarmac SL2 Comp 'specs'

Sorry you can't access the 2011 SL2 Tarmac Comp on the Japanese website. Here are the 'specs' from that 'site, below. (Also, the Japanese website shows the 2011 SL2 Roubaix Comp.)

¥290,000(メーカー希望小売価格、税込) 日本国内取扱いサイズ:49、52、54、56、58、61
タブ右のGeometry(ジオメトリー)の表示は誤りです。参考になさらぬようご注意ください。
Body Geometry Romin carbon-reinforced saddle with contoured profile for optimal power position

The FACT carbon fork is light, stiff and compliant with a tapered steerer and 12K weave construction

New FACT IS 8r carbon SL2 frame with tapered head tube and elliptical seatstays is race-ready stiff and fast without sacrificing compliance

Smooth, precise Shimano 105 STI shifters are renowned for their race-ready performance and exceptional value

FACT carbon Pave seatpost uses a Zertz insert to minimize road vibrations for greater comfort but remains stiff and efficient

Adjustable 4-position oversized alloy stem with 31.8mm bar clamp for strength and versatile positioning

___

FRAME
Specialized FACT 8r carbon, FACT IS construction, compact race design, 1.5" lower HS bearing, threaded BB

FORK
Specialized FACT carbon full monocoque, OS race for 1.5" bearing

HEADSET
1 1/8 upper and 1 1/5" lower Cr-Mo cartridge bearings integrated w/ headset, 20mm cone spacer with 20mm of spacers

STEM
Specialized Comp-Set, 3D forged alloy, 4-position adjustable, 4-bolt 31.8mm clamp

HANDLEBARS
Specialized Ergo 2014 alloy

TAPE
Specialized S-Wrap, w/ gel

FRONT BRAKE
Shimano 105

REAR BRAKE
Shimano 105

BRAKE LEVERS
Shimano 105 STI

FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano 105

REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano 105

SHIFT LEVERS
Shimano 105 STI

CASSETTE
Shimano 105, 10-speed, 11-28t

CHAIN
Shimano 105

CRANKSET
Shimano 105
CHAINRINGS

50 x 34T
BOTTOM BRACKET
With crankset

PEDALS
Black cage, body & toe clips w/ strap

FRONT WHEEL
Fulcrum Racing 6

REAR WHEEL
Fulcrum Racing 6

FRONT TIRE
Specialized Turbo Comp, 700x23c, aramid bead, 120TPI, w/ Double Black Belt protection

REAR TIRE
Specialized Turbo Comp, 700x23c, aramid bead, 120TPI, w/ Double Black Belt protection

INNER TUBES
Standard presta valve

SADDLE
Body Geometry Romin Comp w/ hollow Cr-Mo rails

SEATPOST
Specialized Pro, FACT carbon w/ Zertz insert

SEAT BINDER
Forged alloy, 32.6mm

___

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Now I can see it too. My guess is that they are reusing the existing SL2 moulds for these frames. This saves them a lot of retooling costs. As already mentioned they have changed the carbon, though it is actually from 11r to 8r. I imagine that they have also simplified the manufacturing process for this price-point. Still, I don't like the naming - it implies that this is the same frame as the 2008-2009 SL2 and this is only partly true.

It is very likely we will see this bike and naming in other markets too. Presumably they're releasing in Japan now because of lack of inventory.

Good find - thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
krtassoc said:
(Also, the Japanese website shows the 2011 SL2 Roubaix Comp.)
This almost certainly means that there will be a 2011 SL3 S-Works Roubaix. Presumably this will be the same frame that Cancellera rode to victory at this year's Paris Roubaix. I imagine the stock version won't have the same power output (joke).

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
krtassoc said:
Nice find, thanks!! :thumbsup:

I agree that using the SL2 designation is somewhat misleadng, but (IMO) since the molds and method of construction are the same (albeit using 8r versus 11r) it's a worthy successor. Then again, I haven't ridden it, so who knows.

I hope they change the paint scheme before the bike comes to the US. The fork looks a little too Trek Madone like for my tastes. I'm not bashing Trek here, rather, not fond of copying.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
a_avery007 said:
oh man those suck!
even trying the cervelo deal of the fork like the trek..
blegh....
I bet it is a common theme across the 2011 range, other than team theme bikes. It seems like the major manufacturers pick a new theme each year and run with it. Often they pick the same things at the same time too. They need to "innovate" something every year to justify the new range of bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
In Australia and New Zealand Specialized started selling 2011 bikes today according to this.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
This 2011 Roubaix SL2 Comp certainly has a stand-out color scheme. I see they have all the colors covered - red, white and black. One tell-tale that these really are from the SL2 mould is the braze-on front derailleur. I guess this is the new 5700-series 105 in the black finish?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.