Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
warning...long post. thanks.

Ok, here is my dilema. I've been paying on a 2011 Trek Madone 4.5 "lay-a-way" at my favorite LBS. (I love this shop for many reasons, mainly because they practically give away their stuff to me and the owners are friends and trustworthy - they sell Trek, Giant, Felt, and Orbea). I'm upgrading from an aluminum 2006 Felt F75. I don't race, but occasionally find myself on long distance all day rides which is why I was leaning toward the 4.5 with H-2 geometry.

Anyway, they just told me that according to their Trek distributer, my 4.5 won't be in until mid December. By the way, the deal on the 4.5 was $1900 out the door AFTER taxes.

The owner is suggesting (if I don't want to wait for December) a 2009 Blue Orbea Onix that they have in the shop for $1700 out the door AFTER taxes. Main differences I can see between the bikes is the Orbea has an Ultegra derailleur and Shimano R-500 wheelset. Trek has a 105 derailleur and Bontrager entry level wheelset. Trek has the duotrap compatible chainstays which I like, however. Both have entry level brakes as far as I can tell.

I tried the Orbea (perfect size for me) briefly and it felt nice but admittedly, I have not ridden the 4.5,

What would you do? Wait for the Trek in December or take the deal on the Orbea.

Also, I noticed that the drop-outs on the Orbea fork and the rear of the frame are bare aluminum. Is this normal for a carbon frame? Do all carbon frames at this pricepoint have aluminum drop-outs front and rear?

Thanks in advance.

2009 Orbea Onix
•Frame: 2009 Orbea Onix
•Frame Material: 100% T700 Medium-MOD Carbon
•Bar: Zeus Cat I
•Bar Tape: Orbea Cork
•Stem: Zeus Cat I
•Shifters: Shimano 105
•Crankset: Shimano FC-600 (34x50T)
•Front Derailleur: Shimano 105
•Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
•Brakes: Zeus Pro
•Chain: KMC 10
•Cassette: Shimano 105 (12-25T)
•Wheels: Shimano R-500
•Tires: Continental
•Saddle: Selle Italia XR Trans Am
•Seatpost: Carbon

Trek 4.5
Frame 4 Series TCT Carbon, E2, DuoTrap compatible
Fork Bontrager Race Lite w/E2 aluminum steerer, carbon legs
Wheels
Wheels Bontrager SSR
Tires Bontrager R1, 700x23c
Drivetrain
Shifters Shimano 105 STI, 10 speed
Front Derailleur Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur Shimano 105
Crank Shimano R600, 50/34 (double)
Cassette Shimano 105 11-28, 10 speed
Pedals n/a
Components
Saddle Bontrager Affinity 1, steel rails
Seat Post Bontrager Carbon, 20mm offset
Handlebars Bontrager Race VR-C, 31.8mm
Stem Bontrager Race Lite, 7 degree, 31.8mm
Headset Integrated, cartridge bearings, sealed, alloy, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom
Brakeset Tektro R540 brakes w/Shimano 105 STI levers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
easyridernyc said:
carbon steerer on the orbea?
Not sure about the steerer tube. Anyone else know?

Anyone know about the exposed aluminum drop outs of the fork and rear end of the orbea? Is this common? There also seems to be some kind of a pivot where the seat stays meet the chain stays.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Every CF frame I know of has some aluminum in the dropouts. Some have a little, some have a lot. Don't worry about it.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
I love my 06 Onix so I'm biased. I know the 09's a completely revised frame from mine. As long as the need to get a bike isn't convincing you the Onix fits right then go for it. Treks are great bikes but I really like the idea that the Onix rides great and is something a bit lesser seen.

I will say the R550 wheels my Onix came with were complete crap. Sure they may look cool but don't be fooled. The 500's could be worse. The front wheel never shut up (pinging) when out of the saddle. At my 200lbs they weren't the most stable on descents either. Lighter riders still have plenty of trouble. Near impossible to find spokes isn't very nice either. You will see plenty of poor reviews for them. You may want to see what you can do for swapping out wheels (at more expense) before you ever leave the LBS. I ended up getting a pair of rims custom built that were stronger, lighter and far easier to maintain (not that they have needed any) 550's are still in the basement.

Warning - If you do get an Orbea you will probably start to root for Euskaltel Euskadi (perennial bride's maids) and seek out coverage of the next year's Vuelta to see what other teams are riding them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. So, I pulled the trigger on the Orbea. Couldn't turn down the price and the more I looked at it, I fell in love with it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Good move. Despite the fact that I sell Treks (and think they are very good bikes - the 6 series I categorize as "great"), it's just nice to have something different. Heck, my "modern" road bike is a Masi Speciale Carbon - the rest of my stable consists of lugged steel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts