Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with this bike running 23mm or 25mm rim widths?

I am currently running RS81 C35's that are 20.8mm wide. I am thinking 23's should work just fine, but wanted to see if anyone has any actual experience with this.

am looking to get a new set of deeper rims for tri's.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Anyone with this bike running 23mm or 25mm rim widths?

I am currently running RS81 C35's that are 20.8mm wide. I am thinking 23's should work just fine, but wanted to see if anyone has any actual experience with this.
No personal experience but it would be very strange if your rim width was the issue from a frame clearance standpoint. Tire width/height is the limiting factor. You can look at your current wheels in the frame and see if there is any place where a 1mm wider (on each side) rim could possibly interfere. Changing rim width will change tire width and shape so that may trigger a problem, but again you can visually inspect the bike with your current wheels mounted and see how close things are. You need gaps big enough to allow debris that the tire picks up to not be jammed into the frame. A couple of mm would be minimum clearance in my book.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No personal experience but it would be very strange if your rim width was the issue from a frame clearance standpoint. Tire width/height is the limiting factor. You can look at your current wheels in the frame and see if there is any place where a 1mm wider (on each side) rim could possibly interfere. Changing rim width will change tire width and shape so that may trigger a problem, but again you can visually inspect the bike with your current wheels mounted and see how close things are. You need gaps big enough to allow debris that the tire picks up to not be jammed into the frame. A couple of mm would be minimum clearance in my book.
Thanks for the reply!

I did check and to your point I didn't see anything that would be in the way... only real area of concern is the rear break caliper... I need to see how far it opens up.

I figured I would take a long shot and ask here for a definitive answer before spending lots of cash on wheels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts