Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently rode the 2012 SuperSix EVO SRAM Red. What a great bike. I've been searching for 'that' bike for a while now riding a lot of different brands and models during the search. I think I might have found the bike for me.

I'm not a huge fan of SRAM - I tend to prefer Shimano but honestly I've not really rode SRAM enough to discount it either. I'm really new to the sport so I' learning tons each day. Does anyone have a POV on which bike would be better?

I found the SRAM Red for $4300 and the Dura Ace for $5000.

Is it worth the extra $700 for the Dura Ace or is that a waste and should I go with the Red?

I found this link that also offers a comparison between models - seems there is more to the extra $700 but the thing is I honestly can't make out a lot b/c I am so new to this sport. I'd like thoughts on the deltas between both and if the prices above are good deals.

2012 SuperSix EVO | Infinite Cycles Bike Shop

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought the same bike in white/black last July and absolutely LOVE it except for the lousy 1st generation SRAM Red Front Derailleur.

Front shifting was terrible until I swapped in the new Red Yaw FD. There was a night and day difference with that simple upgrade!

I paid $4500 for my EVO 2 last July. At the price quoted you are getting an absolute STEAL. The 2013 HiMod EVOs with SRAM Red are $7200 and the colors are ugly.

Given Cannondale's whopping price increase, 2012 models are hard to come by. My advice is jump on it now and consider yourself lucky.

I have the Dura-Ace groupset on my CAAD9-1 and like the SRAM Red better. YMMV.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The first generation Red FD may have had a bigger problem with compact crank sets than the standard 53-39.

Reviews of the new Red Yaw FD universally pointed out SRAM's lousy front shifting with the old titanium Red. The pros addressed this by using sturdier Force FDs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I've continued my own research including speaking with LBS folks I've found that there is indeed more at play here than just the components SRAM vs. Shimano.

Both run the same frame.
The RED has Ksyrium Elite wheel set - The Dura Ace has Ksyrium SL wheel set
The RED has a SRAM Red crankset - the Dura Ace has the Cannondale Hollowgram SL crankset
The Red has FSA Wingpro Handle bar - the Dura Ace has K-Force Carbon
The Red has a less expensive seat and post than the Dura Ace

The net is that you're getting more than just the grouppo. I've read and heard that the Hollogram crankset is impressing the hell out of people and considered the new gold standard (at least in some groups). I also heard that the wheelset (SL vs. Elite) is a hell of an upgrade. The SL retails for ~$1100 while the Elite retails for ~$700.

I need to ride these back to back to help make the decision. I found a place offering both so I'll try and take a look this week (if this snow stops) and have a new bike by next weekend.

Any additional advice is super welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm still surprised you were able to find a pair of 2012 EVOs. The LBS is giving you a terrific price and you could hardly go wrong with either choice.

It sounds like the due diligence box can be checked off. Ride both bikes and take home the one you like the best.

My best advice is not to linger. I'd hate to see you lose out to a motivated buyer who has priced out the 2013 Hi-Mod EVOs and has the cash to do the deal.

Best of luck with your new bike. Let us know how it turns out :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went with the Dura Ace. I think I got a smoking deal for a better all round package. $4700 - nearly $3k off the original MSRP.

Thanks all for the advice. I get to pick up my new ride Friday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.