Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Geez Scott, you gotta give us a little more to go on here!

What do you want to upgrade? What don't you like about it? What are you trying to improve?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just in general im asking if you owned this bike what would you upgrade?

I dont dislike the bike, i love the bike! Im thinking most answers are going to be upgrading the wheels...Sorry im a noob!

·
Administrator
13,055 Posts
Aero wheels if you like the fast. Maybe a bit fit too.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The old saying; Ride up grades...

The bike fit is a really good idea.

A second set of wheels is always nice to have. It makes a morning flat really easy to fix and breaking a spoke does not become an emergency run to the LBS.

Maybe a new climbing bike? The Venge is on the heavy side.

Some clothing with color for variety?

Different saddle/bars for comfort?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah when i bought the bike I had a bike fit done at that time. The picture I posted was in a triathlon and was the only pic I had that I could post of the bike. So i do ihave other bike jerseys and all that stuff. I have thought about a different saddle...As far as speed upgrades go, wheels are my best bet?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well, if you look at the professional peloton, they have gone to clothing, helmets, frames and wheels for speed increases. All of these will buy you really small gains but they may make you feel better so they may be worth it. Carbon wheels will be very expensive and generally are not everyday wheels. They will be event only unless you are a lightweight rider.

How much are you looking to spend?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
How about some Dura Ace C24s? You can even get the TL version and try out tubeless at some point. I personally like to get custom wheels because they tend to be better value and easier to fix when you have an issue. Check out the Wheels forum for lots of threads on wheels and look at the sponsors for wheel builders. You can get something very nice for less than your budget. I tend to stick to WI and DA hubs with various rims and fairly normal spokes. Lots of options there though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mine is tricked with anything you could imagine. well, Ok, 10sp dura ace electronic rather than 11sp... but other than tht...
and from experience, I can tell you that a proper pro fit and then wheels, in that order.
After that, rerlly theres not much else that makes a serious difference, and the importance of each "upgrade" plummets. After the wheels, good tires and latex tubes, both of which offer greater bang for buck than most anything else you could do.

and the guy who said get a climbing bike is really mainy off base. Lots of s-works ones come in under 15 pounds. Just because theyre 100 grams heavier than a tarmac doesnt make them heavy.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Most aero bikes are heavier than their 'normal' equivalent. Not a lot heavier but a bit. If you are looking for reasons to upgrade, that is as good as any.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Since you mentioned saddle; if you ride as much as you want and don't have a problem with the one you have now Keep It!

It can be hard to find a saddle that fits your butt. You can spend a fortune and get a saddle that you can't ride for ten minutes.
When people change their saddle they are almost always replacing one that doesn't work for them and are looking for one that fits their particular body and riding style.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
$500 will get you significantly lighter and more aero wheels if you're not afraid of Chinese carbon. Check the thread in the wheel forum. When I put my bike on a weight loss program skewers, brakes, seatpost, handlebar, saddle, and crank made the most significant difference but I bet the stuff you have (besides skewers) is already pretty light so the $$-to-grams saved won't be good. If you're not doing a lot of climbing or sprinting in crits those grams saved won't make you any faster either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im going to look at the Chinese Carbon thread and see what going on with that. I feel I'm alot better climber on this bike but I was a strong climber on my last bike also, but now I can climb longer and faster on this bike. Im going to do some crits and tri's this season, and once i get into a couple of those I might have a better idea what I want to upgrade first.

Thanks Everyone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.