Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2013 Giro Air Attack

40K views 163 replies 51 participants last post by  Mike T. 
#1 ·
Finally arrived my new Air Attack Helmet!!

#7 ·
:confused5: This is the newest tech in bicycle helmets? It looks like a bowling ball had a few and mated with a retro ski helmet. Those four vents better be doing one hell of a job. I'll read a review on it and edumacate myself...

#20 · (Edited)
There you go. I prefer the looks of the Giro. The Spesh reminds me of an old Briko I once had, the Twinner:

Anyway, I have a White/Silver Air Attack size M on it's way, also from Koo-Bikes. Shall report back.

#127 ·
#31 · (Edited)
Whoa, $28 shipping? Ouch. Well...here's my first ride report:

The internal suspension is very comfortable. The straps conform to the shape of you head rather than your head conforming to the shape of hard styrofoam, which mine actually does. I get two longitudinal grooves in my scalp that take about an hour to go away. I wouldn't be surprised if they start using this on non-aero helemts as it makes fit much less critical to comfort.

I unquestionably feel the reduction in air drag on my head above 20 mph. I hit nearly 50mph today and it was a huge difference. When you turn your head to sideways, as you might to look behind, the reduction in drag and lack of buffetting is almost startling. Most road helmets have fins, duck's asses and other projection in the rear which, along with all the big longitudinal vents, creates a lot a drag when you turn your head. Another effect the smooth compact shape has is substantially reducing wind noise with your head turned, which you might do to put an ear downwind so you can hear somebody talking. With your head straight, all the noise comes from air going right over your ears so a helmet is going to have little effect, however, with the way I have the thin straps adjusted on this helmet, they lie flat against my temples and don't add any noise.

With temps around 40F, I didn't have an opportunity to evaluate ventilation and cooling. My large weighs 303 gm.

Edit: I'll add that the Air Attack is more compact than my "old" Ionos. It's 23cm vs 25 cm wide and 27 vs 29 cm long. With that and the lack of protrusions on the back, it looks and feels smaller on the head.

#34 ·
It turns out I'm in the market for a helmet. Now I have to think about this, dammit.

Does it ventilate? I'll be watching.

#35 ·
Thanks looigi. Good report.

#38 ·
I like the way it looks-don't know what colors are available & I'm too lazy to look. As far as ventilation is concerned I've never been able to tell any difference in any helmet I've owned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.