Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone, i have come across a good deal on a Madone 5.2 for $900ish and I had a couple questions. It is ultegra 6700 with RS81 C-50 wheels, so it seems like a crazy deal. There are a couple of things that make me hesitate. It is online from a forum, but the person is affiliated with it is someone who has excellent feedback so that isn't as much of an issue. Paypal has tons of seller protection as well.

Seller says it has around 20k miles. I have researched a bunch and come across articles that say that it shouldn't affect quality carbon as long as no impacts are involved, but that sounds like a lot to me as a 2500-3000mi/year rider. However, I know many people ride 10,000mile years and aren't throwing their $5k bikes away after one or two years.

It is a size 56 with H2 geometry, and I am about 6' even with 33in inseam. I am definitely on the taller side, and according to trek's fit guide, a 56 ends at 5'11.5". I know those are rough guides, and the trend is for people to be on a smaller size(my local shop so much so that they may actually size me on a 54 for specialized), but not being able to ride it has me concerned. I believe the seatmast topper is adjustable, though. I ride a 58cm caad9 now, which is comfortable, and I felt comfortable on my 56cm Tarmac a few years ago, and comparing geometries, the Madone seems close to the tarmac on most parameters.

It seems that it is a good enough deal that if I got it and it didn't fit, or wasn't as described, I could part it out and make a profit. It has three cassettes, an extra ultegra crankset, new rear derailleur, and a zipp sl80 cockpit.

Am I missing anything? Worth the risk?

Any thoughts are appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm 6'0", 32 inch inseam and have owned both a 6.9 and 7 series, both 56cm and H2 w/ 120 mm stem. When in between sizes I go for the smaller frame. I've been told I could replicate my fit with a 58 cm H1.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am 6'0" with a 33" inseam. I actually owned a 2013 Trek Madone 5.2. Size 58 H2. I put about 9500 miles on it. It was a great bike but always felt big.I had to buy the shorter seatmast. I'm now riding a M/L Giant TCR and much more comfortable. I would have bought a 56 H2 Emonda but the Giant was a great deal at the time. I think 56 is a better fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts