Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
My other bike has knobbys
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know there are some of us on here who do the Ride to Conquer Cancer every year...be it BC, Ontario, Alberta or Quebec versions... thought I should start up a thread for this year where we can encourage each other on the training and fund raising.

For me, Epic Impact day was big this year (this will be my 5th Ride in Alberta)....managed to get the boss to throw his support behind me on Wednesday so it looked great. I also jumped on-board as the northern coordinator for one of the largest teams in the Alberta Ride (the team itself is based out of Calgary and spun off their own riding club!).

I am looking forward to the new route this year and actually doing it on a road bike (I picked up a Cervelo S2 at the end of the season...did the ride previously on a Cx bike ('09 and '10) and a 37 lb full suspension mtb for '11 and '12).

I'm also starting on the trainer earlier this year and using TrainerRoad....maybe I'll be able to get a Century in this year before the Ride this year. :)

Anyway, that's it for me...who else is in and how are things going?

·
Registered
317 Posts
My brother and I are doing the Toronto to Niagara ride this year, we have never done it. Looks like it will be a good fun weekend with a stay over at the falls.
My GF and I are pulling a fast one on them and have booked a wedding on the Sunday we finish. She really wants to get married but I really want a house so we are doing both, small wedding and new house long bike ride LOL!!

Training has been hard, cold and snow don't help but spinning classes and the gym bike are going to help..

I am up to $1100 in donations, not halfway yet but working on it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I plan on doing the Quebec ride next year (2014 edition). I'm finishing up my degree this year and need to focus on that for now...

Actually who knows, maybe I'll be in Calgary by then!

Good luck to the 2013 participants!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The rest stop is at Mohawk College (only one, for either direction). They have the tents, and the dinner, band, beer tent, massages, all that stuff is at Mohawk College.

CAMP
Mohawk College
135 Fennell Ave West
Hamilton Ontario L8N 3T2
(905) 575-1212

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=135+Fennell+Ave+West+hamilton+ontario+l8n+3t2&aq=&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=34.365406,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=135+Fennell+Ave+West+hamilton+ontario+l8n+3t2&hnear=&radius=15000&t=m&ll=43.238262,-79.886056&spn=0.071946,0.071946&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=135+Fennell+Ave+West+hamilton+ontario+l8n+3t2&aq=&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=34.365406,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=135+Fennell+Ave+West+hamilton+ontario+l8n+3t2&hnear=&radius=15000&t=m&ll=43.238262,-79.886056&spn=0.071946,0.071946" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Have a look at last year's route on their website:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Je

Do you know exactly where the rest stop is halfway?
My brother and I want to get a room but we are not sure where it is.

Thanks
It is at Mohawk College in Hamilton and there is a Novotel right across the parking lot. I wish i had done that when I rode last year...at 51 yrs old, my body did not enjoy the tent thing...but camp was pretty darned cool. I will not be doing the ride this year due to a Sunday commitment but will be volunteering on Saturday at Toronto. I will register for 2014 while I am there. The ride is a total blast...you will have a ball and meet some great folks. The organizers have really thought of everything and take good care of you. Riding through the noise of the crowd at the finish line was the most awe-inspiring experience of my cycling life.

Make sure you book early.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just hoping the Alberta Ride is dry this year. Day 2 in 2011 and both days in 2012 were super wet (if you don't believe me, my participant centre has a video from last year's Alberta Ride with some pretty funky shots of the wet...link in my signature). If there were hotels near the Alberta camp last year, almost anything would have been worth it to stay warm and dry...I managed warm, but overnight I had some seepage so the feet were wet in the morning (not fun).

8toes...too bad you're not able to drop in again this year, but good on ya for volunteering. I'm contemplating making it 5 yrs as a rider and volunteer (I've got a fair bit of experience as a bike patroller, so I help out the medical crew too).

Bevo, welcome to the event and it is a wonderful experience :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
This year I won't be riding with my school buddy (who I bunked with in the tent) or the other fella I was riding with who had the tent next to mine (that's you, 8toes). My brother in law, who was working at the beer tent last year, is riding this year, but he might be working with that company on the ride/stop too.... I'll have to see who else from the team I can catch up with this year... but that's a few months off.

·
Registered
728 Posts
First year for me. Doing the Classic Plus - Toronto to Niagara. Been doing some spin at Goodlife and some cross-training mixed in. My longest ride to date is 100k, we'll see how it goes doing that over two separate days.
I'm hoping the fundraising is the hardest part!

·
Registered
343 Posts
This year I won't be riding with my school buddy (who I bunked with in the tent) or the other fella I was riding with who had the tent next to mine (that's you, 8toes). My brother in law, who was working at the beer tent last year, is riding this year, but he might be working with that company on the ride/stop too.... I'll have to see who else from the team I can catch up with this year... but that's a few months off.
Jason make sure you keep in touch. I wish I had seen more of you during the ride. I am going to ride again next year for sure. You're riding with Steve's again this year, right?

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, Alberta's new start/end and camp spots have been released. Should be an interesting Ride....probably a little less climbing than in past years (2010 was a terror with over 1600m of climbing...with a big chunk being the last 35 km on Day 1).

I'm happily spinning away on the trainer....starting to get really close to the 500 km mark, which for me is a highest ever in pre-season training. By the time we've got black and non-ball bearing equipped roads (i.e. clear and dry with the sand and gravel taken off), I should be ready to see what this Cervelo I picked up at the end of season can do.

Something tells me I am gonna love this year ;)

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I'm making progress on my training and fund raising. Just about at the minimum thanks to a nice donation from work and fast approaching 600 km under the back tire on the trainer (gawd, Trainer Road is such a life saver when it comes to putting in the hours before the roads are clear).

How's everyone else doing? Getting some training in? I hear that some ON folks might actually be getting out on asphalt these days.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have 52% of my amount so far but chipping away at it.

Training I have not done much, 2 hours a week on the spin bike and on warmer dry days I get the bike out.

Anyone in the Toronto area, once it warms up we can meet up for a ride north of the City, lots of country roads..

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
You're riding with Steve's again this year, right?
I am, but the LBS closest to me (that I really want to buy from) is starting a team this year, and training rides local to me. It would have been nice to link up with them for this. Steve's is a good team, but they're scattered everywhere, most being around Niagara. I think they have regular weekly rides I can join, so I might do that, since the weather is really warming up.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.