Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum as of about 2 minutes ago. I just took possession of a new (2015) Felt F1 frame . It's gorgeous. Fed ex just left about 20 minutes ago and now I'm staring at it in awe. But...I want to run Udi2 with an internal Battery. The only real access point to the interior of the frame is the hole under the BB shell. I've never seen an internal junction B box before so I'm not sure if it's going to fit through. Can anyone help??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really sure how I'd connect the wires once I dropped it down the tube. I did just see an article about a 2015 AR FRD di2 build and in the photos they put the B junction through the BB hole. Tried to compare and it looks like my BB hole is the same size as the one on the AR FRD and if it is then it will work . But idk for sure and don't want to order the group until I'm positive o can do it

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I put the B box internal in the down tube, but the seat post works too. Put it in through the bottom bracket hole, and that was PF30 on my Niner. You could always put in through the top of the seat post tube - you just need to fish the wires up from the BB to the top of the seat post tube, connect the wires and then pull everything back down to the bottom. You'll have the wire from the battery (which will be in the seat post, not the tube) to pull it back up if you need to at some point

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. Yeah that's an option .id need to buy extensions for all the wires though. I really want to find out if anyone knows of junction B fots through the hole under the BB though . But thanks I didn't think about extending the wires.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Try the sub forum Felt and ask this question in "Ask Felt" Superdave 3T formerly known as Superdave Felt drops in a lot and answers questions. He knows wire lengths and everything. He was the guy at Felt that determined what parts were going on each bike model.
Check out You Tube, great videos on installation and tuning. I watched all of them and although I have never installed an entire system I have confidence I could based on what I seen in the video.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Di2 ready frames typically have a frame hole near the front derailer, for that wire, plus some form of frame hole stops for either mechanical or electronic near the head tube and on the rear top of the drive side chainstay. My Chinese carbon has those plus a hole under the DT bottle cage should I desire to run an external battery.

One key to installing internal e-wiring is the DT junction box as well as wiring for F & R derailers as well as seatpost battery all gets installed in the DT before installing the bottom bracket.

Attachments

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,575 Posts
And post in the proper section, don't just throw everything at General and hope for an answer. 'Components & Wrenching' or 'Felt' is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Okay. Yeah that's an option .id need to buy extensions for all the wires though. I really want to find out if anyone knows of junction B fots through the hole under the BB though . But thanks I didn't think about extending the wires.
you don't need extensions for any wires, just buy them long enough to install and let them fold up (not sharp folds obviously) some when you put in the parts. You're going to do that any way you look at it with the battery in the seat tube for the wire to the battery from the B box.

Like others mentioned, ask in the felt forum or call Felt to find out how they would install Di2 in that frame to find out if the B box will fit in the downtube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.