Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a cross post with the Felt forum, who pointed me here:

I recently got a great deal on a 2015 F1 frame that has about 1k miles on it, and whose fork was crushed and destroyed. This is my first time building up a "real" road bike, and I'm planning to learn a lot and make a lot of mistakes. I'm trying to keep this project at a fairly low budget, but I'm not interested in buying no-name ebay components.

As I've started to scope out some parts, there are few questions that have come up that aren't so easy to google. All my most obscure searches keep leading me here though, so I though I'd sign up and ask.

1. I'm thinking of a Columbus Fel fork - it's got a 45mm rake vs the 43 of the stock Felt fork, and 3mm shorter. Is that within the range of "should be fine"?

2. I know the head tube is tapered from 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" but research has shown me that there is an insane amount of non-standardization of headset sizes. (pages 8-9 caused me to break out in sweats) - what are the official upper and lower bearing sizes in the F1?

3. I'm installing a standard set of BB30 bearings. I know Shimano doesn't do a BB30 spindle, and I've heard of folks mixing a SRAM chainring and cranks with shimano derailleurs/cassette/chain - is that a good way to go? Should I just be looking to a full SRAM groupset? The folks I ride with are all on Shimano or Campy.

Thanks!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
Why don't you just have a Felt dealer order you a fork? Why mess around w/ different brands, different rakes, different axle to crown lengths?

At the same time you can get the proper headset bearings, OR you can go to the Cane Creek site and use the 'headset finder'. Dead easy.

Cranks really don't matter, you can mix and match, the shifting will generally be totally fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why don't you just have a Felt dealer order you a fork? Why mess around w/ different brands, different rakes, different axle to crown lengths?
Because Felt doesn't actually replace forks - when I spoke to a dealer they contacted Felt who started asking questions around whether they should replace the entire frame on warranty (but I bought it second-hand so the answer is no).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the same time you can get the proper headset bearings, OR you can go to the Cane Creek site and use the 'headset finder'. Dead easy.
Also - Cane Creek finder doesn't have Felt F1s past 2012, so it's not as dead easy as you might think.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
Also - Cane Creek finder doesn't have Felt F1s past 2012, so it's not as dead easy as you might think.
Spec is the same, as long it's the tapered w/ 1.5" lower. I find it hard to believe that Felt won't sell a new fork but I guess they have their reasons. As long as you're within a few mm's of length and 2mm of offset you'll be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Spec is the same, as long it's the tapered w/ 1.5" lower. I find it hard to believe that Felt won't sell a new fork but I guess they have their reasons. As long as you're within a few mm's of length and 2mm of offset you'll be fine.
Theysss
They may sell one - and I'll pursue it, but it certainly wasn't a "the part costs $xxx" who knows why - maybe worried about aftermarket or grey market?

Anyway thanks for the info - with Cane creek's headset finder, they need the steerer tube diameter in mms, which is confusing (in order to fit the crown race?. I guess something I can measure or research when I settle on a fork.

Edit: realized those are standard for 1 1/8" and 1 1/2" forks. So IS 42/28.6 IS 52/40 it is! Many thanks on that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts