Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 56cm Cannondale Caad 10 Bbq finally get on the saddle. got tired of the dream of building my own horse with hand picked parts.

So the wheelset are RS11's. I have a set of 2014 Mavic Open Pro's in my basement that are trued and ready to go. laced to Ultegra hubs.

Also I have a brand new 2015 Shimano 105 Crankset that can be groupped with the 105 transmission..

I'm not Freding this bike off the bat... I have these parts on hand. But not sure if its an "upgrade" to transfer over.

As some have said. Shimano 105 work well together. Is it worth removing the FSA Crankset?

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Bought a 56cm Cannondale Caad 10 Bbq finally get on the saddle. got tired of the dream of building my own horse with hand picked parts.

So the wheelset are RS11's. I have a set of 2014 Mavic Open Pro's in my basement that are trued and ready to go. laced to Ultegra hubs.

Also I have a brand new 2015 Shimano 105 Crankset that can be groupped with the 105 transmission..

I'm not Freding this bike off the bat... I have these parts on hand. But not sure if its an "upgrade" to transfer over.

As some have said. Shimano 105 work well together. Is it worth removing the FSA Crankset?
Symptom: overthinking. Cure: just ride the bike. If you don't like something, change it, but don't expect a noticeable improvement.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Symptom: overthinking. Cure: just ride the bike. If you don't like something, change it, but don't expect a noticeable improvement.
This. A lot of times - especially if you spend too much time (like I do) reading these forums - certain things are theoretically "better" and others "sub-optimal". 9/10 times, maybe even more, most of us don't notice or if we do notice, it doesn't matter and we should just ride the bike as-is. You might like the look of the 105 crank better than the FSA (or vice versa) or the looks of one set of wheels over the others. Those would be legitimate reasons to change it even if the original parts were satisfactory. But me, I'd try it first just to see if the urban legends have any truth.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This. A lot of times - especially if you spend too much time (like I do) reading these forums - certain things are theoretically "better" and others "sub-optimal". 9/10 times, maybe even more, most of us don't notice or if we do notice, it doesn't matter and we should just ride the bike as-is. You might like the look of the 105 crank better than the FSA (or vice versa) or the looks of one set of wheels over the others. Those would be legitimate reasons to change it even if the original parts were satisfactory. But me, I'd try it first just to see if the urban legends have any truth.
This!!
Almost certain that I'd want to swap the Mavic Open Pros first. Also The Open Pros offer less aesthetic appeal then the RS11's. The same goes for the Shimano 105 crank. Its a silver 5800 vs an FSA Gossamer. The Gossamer is a definite win for aesthetics IMO.

Test drove a Felt F75 with more parts off the 5800 105 series. Smooth!! Yet I know that there was more then meets the eye on that test ride. But it encouraged me to want to swap the Gossamer for the 105...

With that said. What you said last is what resonates with me. Not sure if I'll have the patience to wait out the swap for the Mavic Open Pros (might throw those on first then mid summer swap to the RS11's to get a feeler test. But the Gossamer crank flows with the bike very well while the Shimano 105 will... Stand out. the advantage the 105 crank has would potentially making a smooth feeling ride shifting aside. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I agree with the others about keeping the stock set-up. Nothing is broken and it isn't clear what you are even trying to fix.

It sounds to me like you bought a used or left-over bike model; I assume to save money and you've sort of decided without facts that the parts aren't as good as what you have in your parts bin. It'll just be an exercise in frustration. Ride the bike and enjoy it.The CAAD 10 is a great criterium bike so maybe get a CAT-5 license and play around.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with the others about keeping the stock set-up. Nothing is broken and it isn't clear what you are even trying to fix.

It sounds to me like you bought a used or left-over bike model; I assume to save money and you've sort of decided without facts that the parts aren't as good as what you have in your parts bin. It'll just be an exercise in frustration. Ride the bike and enjoy it.The CAAD 10 is a great criterium bike so maybe get a CAT-5 license and play around.
I'm not sure I ever said that I decided that these parts were sub par without facts. In fact the irony is that I'm here to figure out if this is really an upgrade or a "side grade" (see original post)
And your right. The discounted price for a new, never before ridden (it was upstairs in the LBS's storage room the whole time) bike was strong enough to say "Dude why am I dreaming of a hand picked parts bike. I just want to pedal man...

what I've gathered from reading, mechanics and this topic is this
First off
stop reading and get on the saddle and ride in a group. Go through the growing pains and endurance gains you get when riding with other humans.
Second is
I may not notice a difference or if I do it will not be a clear nor noticeable difference. That even if these "side grades" can create a noticeable impact, that I'll learn more by riding the bike as is and swap out later.

The common denominator tho is to get the hell off the computer, stop reading and guessing and ride!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.