Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Text Line Font Logo Bicycle tire

Stages 8 and 9 Re-cap:

Well, I believe it is safe to say that we had an eventful weekend!

A new Maglia Rosa after Stage Eight, Gianluca Brambilla (ETIXX - Quick-Step) and, during Stage Nine, the demise of Rigoberto Uran's (Canondale) GC hopes we can expect (I'll bet Zakarin and Chaves are hearing the fat lady sing as well). If the race were to end today, a Belgian "Classics" team would have the top two podium spots! While this situation is unlikely to hold, a quick scan of the names currently occupying the top ten slots in GC will, with only a few exceptions, reveal the names of all of our true protaginists for the remainder of the Giro.

With the first week of the Giro behind us, the battle is coming into sharper focus and the names emerging are not unexpected: Nibali, Valverde and Landa. One of these men will probably be wearing the pink in two weeks...but which one? While these three will likely dominate the discussion, and it will be tempting to ignore the second tier of contenders, the performances of Dumoulin, Jungels, Kruijswijk, Majka and Fuglsang will be well worth watching - they seem determined to play a continued role in this stage race. There could be an upset from out of this group yet.

General Classification Standings after Stage Nine (Top Ten):

1. Gianluca Brambilla (Etixx - Quick-Step)
2. Bob Jungels (Etixx - Quick-Step) 0:00:01
3. Andrey Amador (Movistar) 0:00:32
4. Steven Kruijswijk (LottoNL-Jumbo) 0:00:51
5. Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) 0:00:53
6. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) 0:00:55
7. Tom Dumoulin (Giant-Alpecin) 0:00:58
8. Mikel Landa Meana (Sky) 0:01:18
9. Rafal Majka (Tinkoff) 0:01:45
10. Jakob Fuglsang (Astana) 0:01:51

Jersey Distribution after Stage Nine:

GC Leader (Pink) - Gianluca Brambilla
Points Leader (Red) - Andre Greipel
Mountains Leader (Blue) - Tim Wellens
Best Young Rider (White) - Bob Jungels

Stage 10: Campi Bisenzio - Sestola, 219 km

When engaged in battle, all generals strive to control the higher ground...a cycling stage racer values this territory as well. So it's into the mountains we go: This is the kind of stage that all Giro fans love - mountains all over the course and a final uphill grind to victory. All of our favorites are comfortable here and a shoot-out between Nibali, Valverde, Landa, and perhaps Majka and Fuglsang, seems to be in the cards. For this kind of sudden sharp uphill sprint to the finish, I tend to favor Valverde - but this seems wide open, especially if the big three keep each other in check allowing someone lower down the Giro totem pole to claim a nice victory in Sestola. Sadly for Tim Wellens, I suspect the Blue Jersey will have a new owner after this stage.

Stage 10 Map:

Blue Yellow Red Text White

Stage 10 Profile:

Text Red Slope White Line

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
This will be awesome! (Or, not.)
There is a lot of opportunity for an upstart to develop a break-away!
Or for Valverde to make a well-timed move, rather than being the best at wheel-sucking with the elites, and making ill-timed moves.

I think Nibali is doing well and does not need to make a move now.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
This could be a great stage. As for Valverde, you know as well as everyone else he's usually more than happy to go to the line in a small group and sprinting for the stage win or for winning that group he's win. The pure climbers can't outsprint him and he knows it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Uh, oh! Don't look now Team SKY fans, but after a big ride in the TT, Mikel Landa's out on today's stage. Wasn't there speculation in an earlier thread about Nico Roche's GC potential? It seemed prescient at the time, and even though he's next man up, we won't find out in this race; 6:40 back from the leaders is too big of a lift.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Landa's abandon - complaining of pain in his abdomen - food poisoning?:

Motor vehicle Watch Automotive carrying rack Vehicle door Wrist

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Uh, oh! Don't look now Team SKY fans, but after a big ride in the TT, Mikel Landa's out on today's stage. Wasn't there speculation in an earlier thread about Nico Roche's GC potential? It seemed prescient at the time, and even though he's next man up, we won't find out in this race; 6:40 back from the leaders is too big of a lift.
Yes, I had speculated about Roche.

I am now going to stop speculating because I am jinxing people. I pondered two guys from down the list a bit - Peraud and Roche. Now, Peraud is out and Landa is out, affecting Roche.

Or, maybe I am not jinxing anyone - I have said nothing about Cancellara.

Today was the kind of day where you get your money's worth. However, I see no effect on GC overall.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Yes, I had speculated about Roche.

I am now going to stop speculating because I am jinxing people. I pondered two guys from down the list a bit - Peraud and Roche. Now, Peraud is out and Landa is out, affecting Roche.

Or, maybe I am not jinxing anyone - I have said nothing about Cancellara.

Today was the kind of day where you get your money's worth. However, I see no effect on GC overall.
Roche has had the chance to ride GC before. he is around 8-12 material. Which is great but not really enough to be a dedicated GC man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts