Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Text Line Font Logo Bicycle tire

Re-cap of Stage 13:

The group allowed a breakaway some slack for most of Stage 12, but it was reeled in towards the end and the now reunited peloton prepared for the bunch sprint in Asolo after 227 km on flat roads. Young Caleb Ewan made a play for the win at the end but he was out-powered and out-maneuvered by our veteran Red Jersey holder, Andre Greipel.
Greipel took his third and final win of this year's Giro and his team (Lotto-Soudal) has now won about a third of the stages thus far - very impressive. However, with Greipel bowing out while on top of his game, we will have a new red jersey holder tomorrow in the form of Giacomo Nizzolo (Trek-Segafredo), who is currently in second place after Greipel.

General Classification after Stage 12 (Top Ten):
1. Bob Jungels (Etixx - Quick-Step)
2. Andrey Amador (Movistar) 00:00:24
3. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) 00:01:07
4. Steven Kruijswijk (LottoNL-Jumbo)
5. Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) 00:01:09
6. Rafal Majka (Tinkoff) 00:02:01
7. Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha) 00:02:25
8. Esteban Chaves (Orica-GreenEdge) 00:02:43
9. Gianluca Brambilla (Etixx - Quick-Step) 00:02:45
10. Diego Ulissi (Lampre - Merida) 00:02:47

Jersey Distribution after Stage 12:
GC Leader (Pink) - Bob Jungels
Points Leader (Red) - Giacomo Nizzolo (pending Griepel's withdrawl)
Mountains Leader (Blue) - Damiano Cunego
Best Young Rider (White) - Bob Jungels

Stage 13: Palmanova - Cividale del Friuli, 170 km

The route of lucky Stage 13 features a pair of Cat 1 and a pair of Cat 2 climbs and a flat slightly downhill finish. The sprinters may be able to catch back up to the peloton after the first two major ascents, but the last two will see them fall off the back and they will probably not have enough time, or energy, to catch the climbers on that last false flat. Our pink jersey will have his hands full on this stage and may very well lose his jersey if he can't keep the pace - of the GC favorites Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) is best positioned to be the man who might be wearing the pink jersey at the end should Bob Jungles falter, but it's reasonable to assume that Costa Rican Andrey Amador, also of Movistar, will be the most likely beneficiary in Cividale del Friuli and climb the podium to take the Pink on the day.

Stage 13 Map:

Blue Yellow Red Text White

Stage 13 Profile:

Slope Red Text White Line

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
I had not heard abt Greipel exiting, and cannot easily find a story on the cycling news sites - is it his ribs?

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, he is exiting to get ready for La Tour I believe.

From Cyclingnews:

"This is what stage winner Andre Greipel said before stepping onto the podium.

“It was already quite strong of the team to keep me there at the front and still be there for the leadout. It was amazing to follow the wheels of my teammates today. The plan was Jurgen Roelandts would hit the last corner first, and leave a little bit of a gap and then I could accelerate in his slipstream. It worked out really good. I wanted to do the sprint from the corner and I’m happy that it worked out like that.

Leaving the Giro d’Italia: “My season is full of goals and of course I’m not happy to pull out of the Giro with he red jersey. But the team and myself have made the decision to go home, to leave the Giro today, and prepare for the upcoming goals.”

See also: Giro d'Italia: Greipel announces departure after stage 12 victory | Cyclingnews.com

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
It's a shame that Cancellara, Greipel, Kittel have pulled out. I'm starting to think the race organizers should have the flat stages scattered throughout the tour, or stuff them in the middle of the tour, in hope of retaining these guys. Or maybe limit the number of flat stages. To be honest, it's quite boring watching these flat stages except for the final 10km when they start to really race. Hmm, actually it's quite boring to watch many of these long races, because the only real racing usually only takes place in the last 10-20km, the rest is just a snooze fest.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,945 Posts
It's a shame that Cancellara, Greipel, Kittel have pulled out. I'm starting to think the race organizers should have the flat stages scattered throughout the tour, or stuff them in the middle of the tour, in hope of retaining these guys. Or maybe limit the number of flat stages. To be honest, it's quite boring watching these flat stages except for the final 10km when they start to really race. Hmm, actually it's quite boring to watch many of these long races, because the only real racing usually only takes place in the last 10-20km, the rest is just a snooze fest.
And then everyone is shocked SHOCKED at the low viewership and difficulty in finding cycling sponsors...

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
And then everyone is shocked SHOCKED at the low viewership and difficulty in finding cycling sponsors...
I think it's bad for the sport when even "enthusiasts" (people who actually follow cycling and willing to spend the big bux to look like pros) are bored at most of these races save for the last 20km. Having said that, even as the pro peloton is having difficulty finding and retaining sponsors (and thus keeping their own livelihood), the consumer market seems to be booming nicely, and there are plenty of consumers with deep pockets willing to spend whatever the latest the manufacturers are pushing.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Aaaaanyway, they went ahead and raced today.

Movistar is in the driver's seat, with Amaor in pink a Valverde in fourth right on Nibali's wheel. With a strong Visconti at 3:55 they can keep up the attacks obligating other teams to pull.

Astana continues to show numbers, and Nibali's is well positioned, but I think Movistar will be hard to beat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts