Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Text Line Font Logo Bicycle tire

Stage Four Re-cap:

A quick look at the profile of Stage Four made it abundantly clear that sprinters, like our Maglia Rosa Marcel Kittel, would be put on the back foot mid-way through the stage. As the German fell back, new names put themselves in contention.

The stage was determined on the Via Fortuna with some very aggressive riding from Ulissi, Moser, Colbrelli, Dumoulin and even the veteran Scarponi launching attacks in the final kms.

But it was Ulissi’s push as they hit an 18% grade that would prove decisive for the stage win. He managed to hold out a 5 second adavantage over the field and came away with a well deserved stage win. Thanks to his own final push, Tom Dumoulin was able to retake the Maglia Rosa.

Competition event Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle racing Sportswear Bicycle jersey

Of the GC contenders, Nibali and Valverde remain the strongest at this point, but there's a lot of racing to be done. The cream is beginning to rise to the top.

General Classification after Stage Four:

1. Tom Dumoulin (Giant-Alpecin) 14:00:09
2. Bob Jungels (Etixx - Quick-Step) 00:00:20
3. Diego Ulissi (Lampre - Merida)
4. Steven Kruijswijk (LottoNL-Jumbo) 00:00:24
5. Georg Preidler (Giant-Alpecin)
6. Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) 00:00:26
7. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) 00:00:31
8. Jakob Fuglsang (Astana) 00:00:35
9. Nicolas Roche (Sky) 00:00:37
10. Esteban Chaves (Orica-GreenEdge)

The Jersey Holders after Stage Four:

General Classification Leader (Pink) - Tom Dumoulin (Giant - Alpecin)
Points Leader (Red) - Marcel Kittel (Etixx - Quick-Step)
Mountains Leader (Blue) - Damiano Cunego (Nippo - Vini Fantini)
Best Young Rider Classification (White) - Bob Jungels (Etixx - Quick-Step)

Stage Five: Praia A Mare - Benevento, 233 km

There will be no mercy on this stage for the sprinters. It begins with an ascent up to Fortino and remains bumpy throughout this hilly romp. This is a stage for the mountain goats and might see some GC boys climb the ranks as they climb the mountains. The stage ends with an uphill ramp on pave - I'm tipping Valverde for this stage win.

Stage Five Map:

Blue Yellow Red White Colorfulness

Stage Five Profile:

Text Red Slope White Line

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
I have failed to appreciate the potential of Roche. If he gets supported, rather than being a domestique, can he be a challenger for the overall win?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I haven't been able to figure out all of the icons on those graphs. The start, finish, and climbing categories are fairly obvious but what are "R" and "TV"?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have failed to appreciate the potential of Roche. If he gets supported, rather than being a domestique, can he be a challenger for the overall win?
i recall an article where brailsford stated roche had the power to be a grand tour contender if he were to get down to the proper weight. this race is all about working for landa however. in the grand tours, if (when) a gc leader falters, it never seems to work out for the secondary option, does it?

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
i recall an article where brailsford stated roche had the power to be a grand tour contender if he were to get down to the proper weight. this race is all about working for landa however. in the grand tours, if (when) a gc leader falters, it never seems to work out for the secondary option, does it?
-no, it never does - I was looking at his palmares, and he really looks like an also-ran versus a contender, but if you are a domestique, and don't aim for GC, that is how you look. He has definitely been in the crowd the recent few years. He is not a great TT, but otherwise is pretty rounded. He may be at a mature age now.

Plus the luck of the Irish.

I like looking down the roster and seeing who might be an upstart.

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Did Kittel just get exhausted on the hills?
This was a super-long course today - well over 100 miles.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice win for The Gorilla! He seemed to have this one pretty well sussed out.

Andre is not going to let Marcel get all the headlines!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Greipel won today as convincingly as Kittel's won stages 2 and 3. Is there a proper head to head sprint in the cards?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I haven't been able to figure out all of the icons on those graphs. The start, finish, and climbing categories are fairly obvious but what are "R" and "TV"?
From what I can gather:

Stages can have one or more intermediate sprints: 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 point(s) are/is awarded to the first six cyclists passing these lines. These points also count toward the TV classification (Traguardo Volante, or "flying sprint"), a separate award.

The junction of Buccino is the "refueling" zone (zona di rifornimento)

·
Registered
174 Posts
From what I can gather:

Stages can have one or more intermediate sprints: 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 point(s) are/is awarded to the first six cyclists passing these lines. These points also count toward the TV classification (Traguardo Volante, or "flying sprint"), a separate award.

The junction of Buccino is the "refueling" zone (zona di rifornimento)
Thanks! That makes sense. Being new to following professional cycling there's a lot of things to take in and having to track those same things in foreign languages as well makes it even harder.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dunno. Roche has always been a bit of an enigma. Seems to be one of those riders with plenty of potential, but seems to be missing that crucial spark that separates champions from also-rans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts