Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Text Line Font Logo Bicycle tire

Re-cap of Stage Six:

The Lotto-Soudal Team Bus is a happy place these days. After Greipel's convincing sprint victory yesterday, Tim Wellens achieved a double for the team in Roccaraso today, lifting up his bike as well as his team with their second consecutive team win in this year's edition of the Giro.

On the GC front, Valverde appears to be holding strong while Nibali and Landa are looking less than top-notch. Early days yet but the omens are not looking good at the moment; unless you are Alejandro Valverde that is. Uran and Majka also seem to be riding into form...

Also, after his stellar performance in Stage Six, one has to take a second look at our Maglia Rosa - Tom Dumoulin - who seems to be "for real" at the moment putting time into his rivals on their turf - the mountains. Also keep a wary eye on Jakob Fuglsang - with his captain showing signs of weakness, will we see an internal battle in Astana?

I'm very impressed with some of the young guns vying for GC positions in the Top Ten, most notably Jungels and Kruijswijk - I had expected this of Chaves but the other two seem to be punching above their weight.

Things are getting very interesting.

The GC Standings after Stage Six:

1. Tom Dumoulin (Giant-Alpecin) 24:22:15
2. Jakob Fuglsang (Astana) 0:00:26
3. Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha) 0:00:28
4. Bob Jungels (Etixx - Quick-Step) 0:00:35
5. Steven Kruijswijk (LottoNL-Jumbo) 0:00:38
6. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) Team 0:00:41
7. Diego Ulissi (Lampre - Merida)
8. Esteban Chaves (Orica-GreenEdge) 0:00:44
9. Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) 0:00:47
10. Kanstantsin Siutsou (Dimension Data) 0:00:49

The Jersey Distribution after Stage Six:

GC Leader (Pink) - Tom Dumoulin
Points Leader (Red) - Marcel Kittel
Mountains Leader (Blue) - Damiano Cunego
Best Young Rider (White) - Bob Jungels

Stage Seven: Sulmona - Foligno, 211 km

After a somewhat bumpy start, this stage ends in a near flat sprint - a little technical though and narrow towards the end - especially with tired legs after going up and down a bit. The Sprint Team that can gather and maintain their sprint train in the final kms, through those turns, will have the advantage along with the sprinter who has most in the tank after the hills.

I'm tipping Andre "The Gorilla" Greipel and his now very confident Lotto-Soudal team to win this in a squeeker. It will be their third stage win of this year's Giro.

Stage Seven Map:

Blue Yellow Text Red White

Stage Seven Profile:

Text Red Slope White Line

·
Registered
865 Posts
You nailed it! With that defeat after a near perfect leadout and spotting Greipel several bike lengths, I think it's pretty clear that, despite their similarity in technique, Caleb Ewan is no Mark Cavendish.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got lucky.

Chaves got bumped out of the top ten - but Uran got in.

Things getting tighter.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Why was C'dale working so hard late? Keep Kittle dropped? But why? Greipel was so strong he could win that from a compromised position with 200M left... Kudos. But I'm rooting for Nizzolo!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.