Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Text Line Font Logo Bicycle tire

Re-cap of Stage Five:

A tough stage for many of the sprinters, but Andre Griepel had a little extra in the tank when it counted and took this stage by multiple bike lengths - formerly throwing down the gauntlet in the battle for the points jersey.

Tom Dumoulin gets a third day in pink - one wonders if he ever dreamed about this? Young gun Bob Jungels is hanging tough - very impressive - I doubt many foresaw that he would be holding the second podium spot in this year's Giro.

The GC contenders/teams seem well satisfied to let the Sprinters teams carry the load for now. Which means Dumoulin might have a few more stages in pink as long as he doesn't have a really bad day in the mountains.

General Classification Top Ten after Stage Five:

1. Tom Dumoulin (Giant-Alpecin) 19:40:48
2. Bob Jungels (Etixx - Quick-Step) 0:00:16
3. Diego Ulissi (Lampre - Merida) 0:00:20
4. Georg Preidler (Giant-Alpecin)
5. Steven Kruijswijk (LottoNL-Jumbo) 0:00:24
6. Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) 0:00:26
7. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) 0:00:27
8. Ilnur Zakarin (Katusha) 0:00:35
9. Jakob Fuglsang (Astana)
10. Nicolas Roche (Sky) 0:00:37

Jersey Distribution after Stage Five:

GC Leader (Pink) - Tom Dumoulin
Points Leader (Red) - Marcel Kittel
Mountains Leader (Blue) - Damiano Cunego
Best Young Rider (White) - Bob Jungels

Stage Six: Ponte - Roccaraso, 157 km

This is one for the climbers - the mountain goats of the Giro. With two Category Two climbs including a mountain top finish in Roccaraso - this is where the hard men will assert themselves. If the Maglia Rosa can hold the pace - perfecto - but if he cannot a new man will slide the pink jersey of race leader over his head on the mountain-top. It's probably a safe bet that the GC boys will be heavily represented in the first ten riders over the finish line. If one of the GC favorites is not there - well it's "Solo Mio" time as the time losses could be significant.
The question is - if you are a GC team - do you want to take and defend the jersey this early in the race? If Dumoulin falters, might it not be wise to let someone who has no realistic chance at winning the Giro take the jersey here?

Stage Six Map:

Blue Brown Yellow Red White

Stage Six Profile:

Slope Text Red White Line

·
Registered
865 Posts
nice write up and i think the question is an important one. let one of the young, impertinent, pink aspirants take the jersey, there'll be many more hard days ahead.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I would not be surprised if Movistar has this stage targeted to try to get Valverde a win if possible. (Not sure they actually want the pink jersey right now, but I know they want to get Valverde a stage win.)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Here are the thought bubbles over Nibali's head as he made his move on the Roccaraso climb:

"Outta my way! The big dog will eat!"

Followed a few seconds later by, "Oooooh, I don't feel so good."

Another classy ride by my man Dumoulin.

Oh, and not so classy by my man Cunego.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another classy ride by my man Dumoulin.
Yes indeed. Tom Dumoulin showing he is serious about holding on to the Maglia Rosa with a superb performance today. I suppose it's true, that jersey gives you wings!

Both Nibali and Landa faltering - Valverde must be feeling good about that - but not so good about Dumoulin's aggression in pink. Fuglsang might be the man to watch if Nibali keeps lagging.

And lest we forget, a shout out to Wellens - great win today!

·
Registered
865 Posts
i didn't see that stage, but it sounded like a great contest was made at the front in the last few kms. so, the first polemic in the giro involves an italian (not so surprising), but its directed at his team (um, hmmmm...)

in any event, i think it's heating up nicely. let's see what happens after the time trial.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts