Where's that GPS?
Recap of Stage One:
A dream start for Dutchman Tom Dumoulin and his Giant-Alpecin team sees Dumoulin wearing the first Maglia Rosa today.
The contenders for the Overall finished fairly closely to each other so I doubt anyone is going to be sweating it during Stage Two - they may send lieutenants up the road so their team will not be obligated in any way to help Giant-Alpecin at the front, but they will be focused on not losing any significant amounts of time to their immediate rivals and staying close to the front to avoid accidents and being caught out by any surprises from the field.
1. Tom Dumoulin (Giant-Alpecin) 00:11:03 [Maglia Rosa & Points Leader]
2. Primoz Roglic (LottoNL-Jumbo)
3. Andrey Amador (Movistar Team) 00:00:06
4. Tobias Ludvigsson (Giant-Alpecin) 00:00:08 [Best Young Rider]
5. Marcel Kittel (Etixx-QuickStep) 00:00:11
6. Moreno Moser (Cannondale) 00:00:12
7. Bob Jungels (Etixx-QuickStep) 00:00:13
8. Fabian Cancellara (Trek-Segafredo) 00:00:14
9. Matthias Brändle (IAM Cycling)
10. Silvan Dillier (BMC) 00:00:16
Stage Two: Arnhem - Nijmegen, 190 km
Normally, I would say this is the kind of stage in which the Maglia Rosa and his team are fairly safe - however, today there will be no where to hide. The Maglia Rosa will be challenged.
This is a fairly flat Sprinter's Stage. Given his excellent performance in yesterday's ITT, I would venture that Marcel Kittel will be highly motivated to snatch the Maglia Rosa as well as the lead in the Points Jersey competition today. He's my man to watch.
Absent rain, a major factor today may be wind. Those teams that can take best advantage of the winds will have a pedal up on the competition. Belgian Teams excel in these kinds of conditions.
Look for the big names and their teams to closely mark each other. A well-planned for cross-wind could cause a decisive split however - ask Valverde what that can mean to your position on the Overall!
Flat stages like this can be tedious - however I'm expecting some early fireworks and an exciting last few Kms. This stage will prove to be a bridge too far for our current Maglia Rosa.
Stage Two Map:
Stage Two Profile: