Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I would need a connaisseur's advice.

I am currently considering updating my 2014 S5 VWD mainly because it's been cracking a lot since a crash. I might get it repaired, but i'd also appreciate revamping my bike since the groupset would have to be changed.

To give you a better picture, here's my current setup: 2014 S5 VWD, 10-speed Ultegra 6800, Rotor 3D+ with either 34-50 or 39-53 Q-rings and 2016 Zipp 404 firecrest clinchers.

Now the interesting part about the 2017 S5 is it comes with a Rotor InPower as well as a set of Enve SES 3.4 wheels. It also comes with Ultegra 11 speeds DI2. All of that for USD$7600 (taxes included).

Now, I was going to get either an InPower or a 2InPower anyway and since my 404s work great, even though they are not as good as the Enve, I would sell the Enve, since I could sell them for about $2200.

All in all, correct me if I am wrong, but I think that getting a 2017 S5 with a power meter and ultegra di2 for $5400 is a pretty good deal, is it?

So long story long, here's my dilemma. Since we're on the verge of having disc brakes as the standard, should I wait until Cervelo releases a disc version of the S5, or go with this year's model?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have the same dilemma as you. I have the 2012 S5 Team with 2011 SRAM Red and Zipp 404 FC. I am considering the 2017 S5 with eTap but the possibility of a disc version of the S5 is kind of making me hesitant (even the S3d eTap is on my mind too).

BUT I am probably going to go with the S5 eTap. Having disc brakes in nice, but I don't see the need for it where I ride and the caliper brakes are good enough for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer! Glad to know we are on the same boat! I still can't decide yet. If only Cervelo released a disc version like the S3, the decision would've been so much easier!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I know it's not an S5 but my 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc with Ultegra Di2 is a great deal at $4800 and comes with full carbon wheel set also. And I'd bet you could pick mine up for $4k at the right bike shop. It's a great bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts