Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
When have you ever seen a manufacturer put a QR on their frame/fork pictures?
Well, I guess you are right.
I was just excited to see that they are finally adding through axles and thought it was worthy to mention...
I hope they do the same with the Tarmac.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Wonder if they will put out a yellow frame, or Sagan/Kittel designs after their wins.
Sagan's last win was on a Tarmac. He's still not riding the Venge on anything with even a halfway serious climb apparently. They have have the brakes fixed, but not the weight problem.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
Sagan's last win was on a Tarmac. He's still not riding the Venge on anything with even a halfway serious climb apparently. They have have the brakes fixed, but not the weight problem.
I get your point, but the dude wins by sprinting, not outclimbing everyone (usually...). Plus the last green jersey edition bike was a Venge, this one probably would be too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would guess the Sagan and Kittel frames will come out. Seems like all the other rider paint schemes have been as well.

Just being the devil's advocate here, but if a company like Specialized had a bike like the Vias that was a do everything and best of all worlds bike, super light weight, aero, comfortable, then don't you think it would take away sales from their Tarmac and Roubaix? Just thinking out loud here, but maybe it's more in the marketing dept. that has to do with these things.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I get your point, but the dude wins by sprinting, not outclimbing everyone (usually...). Plus the last green jersey edition bike was a Venge, this one probably would be too.
The last green jersey edition was that, because the ViaS was a new bike and the marketing push was on .... but if the Tarmac would benefit more, I bet there would be a green one this year.
But you're probably right.
On the other hand, Sagan needs climbing to win. He doesn't win straight up sprints.
They keep calling him a sprinter on TV, but he's not. He's good at that, if not exceptional, but he's something else entirely different from simply a sprinter. He has his own category, with no name. Beyond category as it were.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I don't remember the profiles of the first two stages he won on but both were on the VIAS, this 3rd on on the Tarmac. Kittel was also on a VIAS for his, though modified with some other stem and bars.

Tony Martin was on a VIAS for his failure to win yesterday but he was away with Alphafilipe for most of that race, which probably speaks more to Tony Martin than the VIAS but still impressive and the same race Sagan chose to go with the tarmac so probably not overly flat (only caught the end watching last night).

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, the Martin thing was super impressive and perhaps the most proper use that has been ever been made of that frame ... he was out there in the wind, at high speed, for a long, long time and there can be no doubt he was glad to have it, and that it was a significant advantage.
And everyone in the pack was cursing him for the effort when they were hoping for a semi-rest day.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
The last green jersey edition was that, because the ViaS was a new bike and the marketing push was on .... but if the Tarmac would benefit more, I bet there would be a green one this year.
But you're probably right.
On the other hand, Sagan needs climbing to win. He doesn't win straight up sprints.
They keep calling him a sprinter on TV, but he's not. He's good at that, if not exceptional, but he's something else entirely different from simply a sprinter. He has his own category, with no name. Beyond category as it were.
Actually, there is a name for it. He's a Puncheur and there are plenty of other guys that fit into that category... VanAvermat, Gilbert, Boonen, Terpstra, Bosenhagen (sp). I'd even say that Matthews and Gerrans fit into that category as well.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Actually, there is a name for it. He's a Puncheur and there are plenty of other guys that fit into that category... VanAvermat, Gilbert, Boonen, Terpstra, Bosenhagen (sp). I'd even say that Matthews and Gerrans fit into that category as well.
Puncheur is closer than sprinter. But that is what all those riders you name are, not Sagan.
Puncheurs don't win the tour of California. He's just an odd beast.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts