Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I #knew there must be something #innovative.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Unless it has a built-in power meter somewhere, I fail to see why Shimano would release a "new" Dura Ace that doesn't offer anything the prior version didn't already have. I doubt that most cyclists will dump their existing group set just to get a new set that is a new color.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Unless it has a built-in power meter somewhere, I fail to see why Shimano would release a "new" Dura Ace that doesn't offer anything the prior version didn't already have. I doubt that most cyclists will dump their existing group set just to get a new set that is a new color.
If not something innovative it is probably because it's lighter, stiffer, smoother...blah, blah etc.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
the crank pictured has a powermeter.. you can just see a little black box in the opening of the chainring

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless it has a built-in power meter somewhere, I fail to see why Shimano would release a "new" Dura Ace that doesn't offer anything the prior version didn't already have.
There is a power meter there and looks like the one FDJ has been spotted with on their bikes.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I shutter to think of how much Dura Ace Di2 with a dual leg power meter is going to cost :eek: Hopefully an Ultegra version won't be far behind, but far enough behind to give me a chance to sell a kidney or something.

·
Registered
666 Posts
They're def. doing 9170. It's the end of the normal marketing cycle for 9070.
They probably have power meter for the group, but that's number three on the priority list. Number two is that here will be accommodation for Dura-Ace level hydraulic discs, which are crucial for the way the market is shifting.
But the main this is that this will be wireless.
It would be marketing suicide otherwise. There is no way in the world that Shimano is going to lock itself into three years more of wired when SRAM is already in wireless at its top end. If they did that, even Campy would get out ahead.
And yes there is a visible wire for the rear mech, but it's sitting oddly flat. I smell a decoy wire.
Then Ultegra Di2 will go wireless.
Or maybe they'll call it Di3 for this family.

·
Registered
706 Posts
But the main this is that this will be wireless.
It would be marketing suicide otherwise.
While I personally think that Shimano will have to come-out with wireless shifting to compete with SRAM at some point, this article posted on BikeRadar.com not too long ago suggests that Shimano isn't going the wireless route anytime soon.

I'm wondering if SRAM really caught Shimano by surprise with e-Tap. If Shimano didn't already have wireless in the product pipeline long before e-Tap was released, then we won't see it any time soon unless Shimano is the most organized and efficient company in the world :p

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While I personally think that Shimano will have to come-out with wireless shifting to compete with SRAM at some point, this article posted on BikeRadar.com not too long ago suggests that Shimano isn't going the wireless route anytime soon.
Question is what does a wireless SRAM eTap provide over Di2? Sure no wires (except for the sprint/climbing buttons are still wired) is useful for older frames that weren't designed for electronic groups and for which an owner doesn't want to run external Di2 or custom drill their frame. I understand that.

But now, most modern frames come ready for mechanical and or electric. So don't see the SRAM as being a big upgrade, especially once the bike is built and used. Not like you are going to be swapping group sets back and forth between bikes every day where the ease of eTap would save a lot of time.

So really, I don't see the need for Shimano to go wireless just because SRAM did. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
^ I agree with that .. maybe with TT bikes and the new aero bikes (MADONE/VIAS) where the gearing is the PITA part of the setup. For me, being wired is no big deal. With the computer box and Di2... I can really go to town on customization.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Except the eTap TT doesn't have any less exposed cables than the Di2 system and with the larger box, probably harder to hide somewhere inside of the frame.

I don't think that improves any upon what Shimano has for their system. Looks like a wash to me, so really one should just pick the brand/shifting they like better. As in setup is going to be very close to each other, with Shimano having a few extra wires than the SRAM, but if you have a modern frame doing the Di2 install shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I hear ya.. I had no issues w/9070 and my BMC TM01.. really easy to run the wires in the frame...

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I agree. No problem with my Di2 either. It isn't like mechanical where every season you might want new cables and housing and have to deal with internally routing everything. Di2 should be set and forget (assuming you properly seated all the wires and have enough slack in the wires so that they won't come undone).

If Shimano wants to go wireless, I can see why. But I don't feel like they have to. Di2 is spot on and bomb proof. Nothing to improve upon except for price and maybe weight.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
9070 has one battery to charge, instead of four. Just plug it in and it charges.
And as already said, all the wires are inside my frame anyway, so it looks fairly wireless.
Been using it for almost three years and not even needed to adjust the derailleurs.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Shimano didn't jump on the carbon crank fad just because it was cool, they preferred to stay with what worked for them, so maybe they'll do the same with Di2 as well, stick with wires and not follow the latest trend.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts