Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2017 Synapse? Due for an overhaul soon...

Any news on whether 2017 will see a change to the Synapse line? 2016 saw the Supersix overhaul, so I'm hoping the Synapse is next in line.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the head's up!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
The Synapse had a major overhaul for 2014. I don't expect another one for at least 1 or 2 more years. Model cycles are generally every 4 to 5 years.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That sucks... i was really hoping for the synapse to have more tire clearance for the 2017 model. Im currently really torn between the synapse di2 but comes with 28c vs the trek domane di2 but comes stock with 32c. But the price delta is just HUGE!!! =\

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I wonder if there's any chance some of the pro backlash on disc brakes will cause rim brakes to return on more of the model line, rather than only super-expensive and super-cheapo?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
I run 32mm Kenda Small Block 8 on my disc Synapse. Wouldn't ride them in the mud but there is enough clearance in dry conditions.
32mm tires, seriously? Is this the Al or carbon frame? Possibly the disc version has better clearance?

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Just got word from my shop. Synapse is not thru axle for 2017, but has what appears to be more 160mm rotor options and with new colors that have some serious pop.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Just got word from my shop. Synapse is not thru axle for 2017, but has what appears to be more 160mm rotor options and with new colors that have some serious pop.

View attachment 315647 View attachment 315648

Hmmm. These colors are sure a nice break away from so much white. Though I think black/yellow or black/orange would look really sharp, having all three is a bit too much.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Hmmm. These colors are sure a nice break away from so much white. Though I think black/yellow or black/orange would look really sharp, having all three is a bit too much.
I hear ya and I typically agree, but I like this one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Some good stuff on here. I am looking close at the Synapse Carbon Ultegra 4 right now. Love the price point and Ultegra hardware. However, Domanie 5 is attractive too at same price point with 105 components.
Wondering if this is the last year before Synapse overhaul if I am making error if I buy this model.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Some good stuff on here. I am looking close at the Synapse Carbon Ultegra 4 right now. Love the price point and Ultegra hardware. However, Domanie 5 is attractive too at same price point with 105 components.
Wondering if this is the last year before Synapse overhaul if I am making error if I buy this model.

You would not be making an error with either of these choices. I have a Synapse Carbon and love mine. So I am slightly biased. :)

Cannondale has better warranty support than Trek if you do have a problem down the road.

That being said, one place the Domane 5 has an edge is that it comes with a Shimano 105 crankset. The Synapse Carbon Ultegra 4 uses Cannondale's own Hollowgram crankset. I suppose this is a cost cutting measure in order to be able to sell you an otherwise full Ultegra bike for $2,660.

Verdict: Ride both and buy the one you like better. Either one will serve you well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
appreciate the info. The Synopse they have in the store is my exact size and he said he would sell it for $2.100. Which is the same price exactly as the Domane 5. I am riding both Friday and hope to make decision. Would love to have a couple of great Holiday weekend rides on a new bike. With all that said I love the look of the Synopse and will do my best to not bias myself on the test ride.

·
Registered
28 Posts
were your tires 700x28 or 700x25? The reason I ask is most look to be 28 in the Synopse line, but the bike I like is 25. I am wondering if being more narrow will change my ride or not a big deal?

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Cannondale spec the cheapest tirest possible. Hard-wearing, but slow and with very little grip. I'd never use them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
any advice on what you would have them put on before I bring bike home? I put some Conti, Gator Skins on my Fuji which I liked.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
were your tires 700x28 or 700x25? The reason I ask is most look to be 28 in the Synopse line, but the bike I like is 25. I am wondering if being more narrow will change my ride or not a big deal?

Personally, if it were me, I would prefer the bike that 700x28c tires will fit on. Narrower is not necessarily faster. Wider gives you a nicer ride.

Cannondale spec the cheapest tirest possible.
I would say this is the case with any bike manufacturer. When you are buying a few thousand tires, you go for whoever will give you the best price. Very few people buy a bike for its tires. They are probably the first consumables that will be replaced.

any advice on what you would have them put on before I bring bike home? I put some Conti, Gator Skins on my Fuji which I liked.
It all depends what you are looking for. Are you looking for light and fast, puncture resistant, grippy or some balance of all of the above? If you are looking for puncture resistant, you can't beat the Maxxis Re-Fuse. Conti Gatorskins are good too, but at a higher price and no better than the Re-Fuses.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts