Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one actually looks like it could be pretty good. A number of stars will be participating. Team Sky looks like it should have a solid shot with its "C" team led by Wout Poels. That's crazy that their third group is in play, but there's no doubt it's a solid team. Not sure what Trek is trying to accomplish here. Quickstep has nothing to be nervous about with Giro white jersey winner Jungles, Terpstra, and Vakoc on the case. Katusha sent a strong squad built around Ilnur Zakarin (I like that dude) and Spilak. Cannondale sent a feisty bunch of disruptors and stage chasers. Dimension Data's two Eritrean climbers and Nathan Haas are another nice combo, but the BMC looks really dangerous with Dennis, TVG, and recent winner Teuns all on deck. Bora is no joke either. Both a rested Sagan and Majka (hopefully healed) are previous winners I believe and are reportedly ready to go. It should be an interesting race.

Tour of Poland 2017 start list - Cycling Weekly

Refreshed Jungels ready for Tour de Pologne challenge | Cyclingnews.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_Pologne

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Movistar is sending Marc Soler as their team leader. Guess they have decided it's time to see what the kids can do.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Movistar is sending Marc Soler as their team leader. Guess they have decided it's time to see what the kids can do.
I've heard good things, so it should be interesting to see how he does as a leader against some big guns.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I've heard good things, so it should be interesting to see how he does as a leader against some big guns.
Thanks! I hope I can watch some!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I agree it will be interesting to see what he can do. He's 23 but has a lot of potential and expectations. Valverde was praising him back at Catalonia.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh what a day. Got in a good training session this morning as I am starting to take it up a notch to get ready for some events I want to do in September and October and then found out that both of my favorite pros won today out of sprints when I got home. Sagan took stage 1 of the Tour of Poland and Kwiatkowski fought for the win in Clasica de San Sebastian. Good stuff.

·
Registered
675 Posts
+1 on the San Sebastián. Landa played a really good role in the final Km by rolling off the front and making the others chase. Good to see that sort of treat work in action.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Oh what a day. Got in a good training session this morning as I am starting to take it up a notch to get ready for some events I want to do in September and October and then found out that both of my favorite pros won today out of sprints when I got home. Sagan took stage 1 of the Tour of Poland and Kwiatkowski fought for the win in Clasica de San Sebastian. Good stuff.

I hope you do well in the events you are wanting to do. I only managed to get sunburned today. But otherwise had a good time. No more stories though as I didn't get to talk to any of the drivers today and I'm sure I won't tomorrow. So the story from yesterday will have to suffice. (On the other hand anyone who doesn't have a favorite Indy Car driver and is looking to cheer for one who also is a fan of pro cycling Carlos Muños is one to consider. I also know Will Power does ride bikes as well.)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Stage 2 of The Tour of Poland was a bit dull. Odd finish and some of the sprint teams got it really wrong e.g. how did Orica manage to leave Ewan out at the front with no more lead out so far from the finish. Modolo did well to get thru a very messy finish.

.... and the motorcycles were far too close to the front of the peloton and even got in the way in a number of corners.

The next stages should be good and the real GC competition will start

·
Registered
675 Posts
That was a brutal climb at the end of stage 3. Teuns did well to jump on Yates's wheel but Sagan's climb was, if anything, more impressive. It just might be me but Sagan looks a bit lighter and not just because he has cut almost all of his hair off.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
That was a brutal climb at the end of stage 3. Teuns did well to jump on Yates's wheel but Sagan's climb was, if anything, more impressive. It just might be me but Sagan looks a bit lighter and not just because he has cut almost all of his hair off.
he looks just about the same to me. His final climb was impressive. Initially he got engulfed, but then slowly he pull them all back except for 1, this is at 15-17% grade. Shame that the Tour DQ'd him

·
Registered
675 Posts
Good win for Ewan today. He hit the front, van Poppel came back but Ewan got a second surge of power and got the result.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Van Poppel managed to hold off Mezgec for the win with Sagan getting third and thereby increasing his lead in the GC. Very messy sprint with a crash on a slippery surface near the end. Bit worried about Sagan - if he uses his elbows any more than he did in that sprint, he'll take off

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I went. Was super hot for all but first two stages. I have a few pics but the up-loader is giving me trouble.

·
Registered
675 Posts
All in all a pretty good event with appreciative spectators, not too many idiots and good racing. The heat seemed to do for a few riders. I liked the evening finishes and the scenery. TJ had a strong performance as did Poels. Bora's tactics looked a bit odd. Some things need addressing, IMV, such as the number of motorcycles and the proximity of the camera bike to the front but can't complain about the overall parcours

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.