Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a lot of rumors already floating.

Report: Sagan linked to Astana for 2017 - VeloNews.com
Sagan in talks with Astana for 2017 | Cyclingnews.com

Sagan, his brother, Rafal Majka, Erik Baška, and Michael Gogl headed to Astana. I heard Specialized is paying to keep him in the big S as well.

Trek-Segafredo set to swoop for Degenkolb as Giant-Alpecin hesitate | Cyclingnews.com

Degenkolb seems to be available and Giant seems to be stalling. So Trek will happily take him.

Nibali is also going to move somewhere is the word. Not sure where though.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts

Sagan, his brother, Rafal Majka, Erik Baška, and Michael Gogl headed to Astana. I heard Specialized is paying to keep him in the big S as well.

Trek-Segafredo set to swoop for Degenkolb as Giant-Alpecin hesitate | Cyclingnews.com

Degenkolb seems to be available and Giant seems to be stalling. So Trek will happily take him.

So, Giant-Alpecin is going to move forward without both Kittel and Degenkolb? Good luck with that.... Those two have provided almost all of their major results since their inception. I guess it could be an opportunity to transform the team into more of a GC outfit built around Dumoulin, but sprinters and Classics men like those two don't just drop into your lap every season IMO.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Conti has been mentioned as in talks with Lampre for a two-year contract, providing he doesn't put up his own team (perhaps with Riis one wonders?).

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Nibali to an Arab Gulf team perhaps? I believe I've heard tell of Bahrain or some such...

·
Registered
7,197 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts

As one might expect, not everyone is happy about this:

Sagan to Astana? Oh no! - VeloNews.com

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
There aren't that many teams in the first place that can even afford Sagan and of the ones that can how many of those actually have a spot for him. Two fo the teams that probably can afford him, I really don't see them having any interest as he doesn't really fit what those teams are. So in truth Astana actually makes some sense.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
There aren't that many teams in the first place that can even afford Sagan and of the ones that can how many of those actually have a spot for him. Two fo the teams that probably can afford him, I really don't see them having any interest as he doesn't really fit what those teams are. So in truth Astana actually makes some sense.
Trek and Etixx were the other two contenders as I understand it. Both have the money (particularly Trek with its new sponsors) and both have the need (with Boonen and Cancellara coming to the end of the spectacular careers). From what I can tell, Trek was a very real possibility, but Specialized fought to find a way to keep Sagan on their bikes. They tried to get Etixx to make room for him, but he is too expensive for how they like to run their ship. Could they, yes, but they didn't want to sacrifice any of their young homegrown talent to get there. Specialized was clearly willing to subsidize his salary, but apparently not enough to get Etixx to commit. That left Astana as the only viable option and with Nibali planning to move on, the funds were there if Specialized was willing to help. Specialized coughed up the dough to prevent him from racing on their rival's equipment for the next 2-3 years at least. It seems like it was more about business than it was winning bike races to be honest.

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Bora-Argon 18: Sagan is too big a rider for us | Cyclingnews.com

now, they've walked it back. i wonder if it's too soon for announcement or genuine. hmmm...
Yeah, there are so many conflicting stories about where he is going. We probably won't know the truth until closer to Aug. 1st. If it's true, it's a calculated risk for Sagan to go with a team before they have WT status, but it worked out fine for Cavendish. Specialized leaving Astana kind of makes sense. Why be caught up in their constant PR nightmare if Nibali isn't going to be there? Specialized also probably has some more cash to throw around since they won't be sponsoring Tinkoff's squad any longer, so I could see them looking for another team to invest in. Bora's a solid choice and if you add Sagan and Maijka, they could be a lot of fun to follow. I would still probably go with replacing Cancellara at Trek if I were Sagan, but this isn't a bad move either.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Me too, my guess is that it is going to be pretty sweet. I hear other sponsors are signing on to help the team compete at the world tour level, so they should have a nice setup. Red is my favorite color, so I am hoping for a heavy dose of that as well.

It also looks like Giant Alpecin made a nice recovery after losing both Degenkolb and Kittell if they truly signed Bling Matthews. He should be really strong now that he has a whole classics team dedicated to helping him.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I find the addition of Kreuziger, Priedler and Verona to Orica Bike Exchange the most exciting personally. Chaves and Yates are future grand tour winners the team is building for that future right now.

Nico Roche is a nice addition to BMC, as well.

Also, Will Bora Argon paint the Astana Bikes Blue?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.