Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
If the OP is looking at an endurance bike, what makes you think he would all of a sudden be interested in an aggressive race bike?

I own a 2014 Synapse Carbon and it is anything but slow.
So you haven't ridden the bike I'm reviewing but you disagree with my review? You also think the bike in question weighs 18lbs? You also think my review was somehow supposed to take into account the preferences of someone I've never met? Re-read what I wrote. Ride a 2018 Synapse Disc 105 (remember to weight it also). Then ride the 2017 Super Six 105. Then come back and tell me how my review is way off base.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've worked in a bike shop on and off since '95. I've raced professionally and worked for bike companies on and off since 2001.
"What a dog!", you write.

It's funny - all ya gotta do is Google "2018 Cannondale Synapse" and there are a ton of reviews out there, including some direct comparisons to rival bikes. Reading them and reading your "review" is like comparing Star Wars to Fred Flintstone.

OP, do what architects do when taking bids on projects. Throw out the high one and throw out the low one and pick from the ones in the middle. You can decide where this "review" is high or low... :rolleyes:

Gary

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
"What a dog!", you write.

It's funny - all ya gotta do is Google "2018 Cannondale Synapse" and there are a ton of reviews out there, including some direct comparisons to rival bikes. Reading them and reading your "review" is like comparing Star Wars to Fred Flintstone.

OP, do what architects do when taking bids on projects. Throw out the high one and throw out the low one and pick from the ones in the middle. You can decide where this "review" is high or low... :rolleyes:

Gary
I wonder if a lot of those glowing reviews are of higher spec models. If you read my ride report the only knock I have against the frame is a tall stack and that's personal preference. I'm specifically talking about the 105 Disc model I rode and considering it in the context of its $2400ish price. It had cheap, heavy tires that felt draggy while also feeling harsh. It had a very heavy build with handlebar and gearing I didn't like. I felt it was just way too slow for a $2000+ road bike, especially compared to last year's slightly cheaper bike that it replaced in our demo fleet.

Instead of getting offended because I didn't like a bike that you did, consider the points I made and how they relate to your priorities. Like I said, we've had several renters rave about this bike so it suits someone.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,813 Posts
It had cheap, heavy tires that felt draggy while also feeling harsh.
Interesting observation. While you don't buy a bike for its tires as they can be easily replaced, most of the time road bikes are stocked with light race tires (and often also ultra-light tubes) so they ride fast on the test ride. What tires are these bikes stocked with?

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
A very thick casing wire bead Schwalbe that looks wider than the claimed 28mm and retails for $20. At 100psi they were way too harsh. At 80 they felt mushy. I settled for 90 and had some of each sensaton. They would probably be a good cheap commuter tire as the casings must be somewhat puncture resistant. In fact I just sold our 54cm to a guy who's gonna use it for year round commuting that includes a gravel section.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,813 Posts
A very thick casing wire bead Schwalbe that looks wider than the claimed 28mm and retails for $20. At 100psi they were way too harsh. At 80 they felt mushy. I settled for 90 and had some of each sensaton. They would probably be a good cheap commuter tire as the casings must be somewhat puncture resistant. In fact I just sold our 54cm to a guy who's gonna use it for year round commuting that includes a gravel section.
Well, OK, so you could probably get a much better ride with a pair of $35 each Vittoria Rubinos. It looks like the bean counters won at the expense of ruining people's perception of the bike. If Cannondale really wanted to save $$, they should have gone with one of the cheap light tires that punctures when you look at it. It probably wouldn't flat until after the purchase. Just saying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't read the thread but the headline caught my eye. My shop has a demo fleet of '18 Synapse 105 disc bikes. I took the time to set up both a 61 and 58 for myself and took them for good rides (40mi and hilly). It is hands down the slowest* road bike I've ridden including my first road bike, a $450 1993 Giant. Oh, and it weighs more than my full suspension dropper post XC bike. What a dog! I was underwhelmed by the brakes as well. I noticed no improvement over the 105 rim brakes with alloy rims on my travel bike. Last year our demo fleet was Super Six 105s and those felt great (and were cheaper!) The road bike world has taken an odd turn.

The hillarious thing is we've had several renters (all old so maybe I'm the wrong demographic) who said it was the best bike they've ever ridden and wanted to by it. I'm like, what other bikes have you been riding, recumbents?

*I went hard both rides and barely averaged 20mph. Harsh, draggy tires. Wide bar and upright position (despite slammed stem) that caught air. HEAVY. Gearing with big gaps between cogs and a big jump between chainrings. Ths 50t forced me to use smaller cogs than normal and that makes for more friction. I was struggling to exceed 25mph and working hard to go 23 when my normal bike would have been going 26+. It felt like I was riding a hybrid or good XC bike.
Been eyeing this bike for 3 months but after your post I'm having doubts whether it really is a good choice. It's also admittedly heavier than I would expect from a carbon road bike(9kg). Do you think it can be improved with some upgrades(wheels+tyres) or I'd be better off looking elsewhere?(Canyon Endurace is my second option but it's more pricey).

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,813 Posts
Been eyeing this bike for 3 months but after your post I'm having doubts whether it really is a good choice. It's also admittedly heavier than I would expect from a carbon road bike(9kg). Do you think it can be improved with some upgrades(wheels+tyres) or I'd be better off looking elsewhere?(Canyon Endurace is my second option but it's more pricey).
I would say test ride it yourself to make a judgment as to how fast or slow a bike feels. Most people have a different take about the Synapse than Lelandjt does. Trust your own instinct about this qualily.

As far as upgrades, I would say just ride it as is, but if you really want to upgrade something, tires are the most cost effective upgrade and will probably give you your most noticable difference in ride quality and feel. Wheels not so much. Try a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pro G+. Or if you really want to go whole hog, many rave about the speed and ride quality of the Vittoria Open Corsas. But keep in mind that there are no free lunches. With the pros of the very supple comfy speedy tires come the cons of more puncture suseptibilty.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
I rarely recommend that someone buy a bike with upgrades planned for it, besides something small like tires. Lighter wheels, shifters, etc will make it feel much more like a high end road bike but you'd probably get a better bang for your buck by just getting the next model up. If that's out of your budget ask yourself how much you want disc brakes because there's a 105 rim brake model that's lighter and $500 cheaper.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts