Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Looks quite similar. Just a refresh, a bit of a change to the stays and hanger and such.

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
It actually looks pretty legit. The prices are really good. It's growing on me for sure.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I got word at the local shop yesterday that Trek will be reducing some of the prices on their carbon wheels as well. I heard some may even be like $1200 like the Giant sets. So, in essence, you will be able to get a Emonda SL frameset for less than $1600 or a complete shimano 105 equipped bike for less than $1900 or a new Ultegra equipped bike for less than $2500, and a carbon set of wheels for $1200. That's a pretty sweet deal regardless of which way you go. You can also get the combination of Ultegra and carbon wheels for $3249. Not bad at all.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...Size=24&q=:relevance:facetBrakes:facetBrake1#

·
Registered
349 Posts
Full 2018 lineup is online. The weight is missing for a few models but I'm sure it will be corrected. A disappointment for me : the Emonda Sl6 disc probably has the most boring paint job ever (matte silver). Still on my short list for my future bike, but I might go project one.

Anyone knows the cost of a simple (like red and black) custom project one paintjob?

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Full 2018 lineup is online. The weight is missing for a few models but I'm sure it will be corrected. A disappointment for me : the Emonda Sl6 disc probably has the most boring paint job ever (matte silver). Still on my short list for my future bike, but I might go project one.

Anyone knows the cost of a simple (like red and black) custom project one paintjob?
Go to the project one tool and play around with it. It will show you the price.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't see a way to customize any of the disc models. I would like SLR model, but would prefer Di2. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I don't see a way to customize any of the disc models. I would like SLR model, but would prefer Di2. Am I missing something?
Unfortunately, I think you are right, it doesn't look like Project One is available for the disc brake models, the framesets, or the SL series this year. It might be worth confirming that with your local shop though. Sometimes they simply don't advertise stuff like that, but are willing to do it. For me, I only really need a frameset at this point (if I stay with rim brakes), so I am most interested in debating the value of going with the SLR frameset over the SL frameset. Even though it's double the price, the SLR frameset still looks like a pretty good deal given the weight, etc., but the SL frameset is a ridiculous value and more than adequate for an average Joe like me.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Here's a detail...2018 Emonda SLs are not the new frame design that the SLRs are. They are current frame deisgns.
Yeah, learned that today as well. Pricing is still good, but it's less exciting. Comparing the Emonda frames against going with a Litespeed Titanium one now. Litespeed is in the lead with the T6 and T2, which are similarly priced.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Unfortunately, I think you are right, it doesn't look like Project One is available for the disc brake models, the framesets, or the SL series this year. It might be worth confirming that with your local shop though. Sometimes they simply don't advertise stuff like that, but are willing to do it. For me, I only really need a frameset at this point (if I stay with rim brakes), so I am most interested in debating the value of going with the SLR frameset over the SL frameset. Even though it's double the price, the SLR frameset still looks like a pretty good deal given the weight, etc., but the SL frameset is a ridiculous value and more than adequate for an average Joe like me.
Project One actually does have the disc option, but it's hidden on the Emonda SLR 9 configurator under the frame options. It's not an option for the lower spec complete bikes. You can also order just the frameset via Project One, but it will cost $3499 MSRP for one of four stock paint options plus $120 for the integrated seatmast topper. This really surprised me...why the extra cost for a part that is absolutely required? Other options at configuration time for the frameset are bottom bracket bearings and your choice of alloy or carbon headset bearing covers. The cheapest custom paint options (Solid Trek Logo, Gran Premio) add another $500 to the cost.

This is of course a significant premium over the $2999 rim brake frameset, but I guess Trek has done its research and determined the market for custom H1 Emonda SLR Disc frames to be minuscule for now.

Anyway, I know all his because I ordered a Blue Steel/Dnister Black H1/Disc frameset. Lead time is 14 days plus transit. The LBS would not budge on price even though the seatmast topper hidden cost is really inane. Not really their fault, but Trek corporate's.

·
Registered
409 Posts
how does the h1 v h2 impact the handling?

Same chainstay length, same headtube angle?
longer toptube, shorter headtube.

assuming the fit position is the same the handling should be the same re: geometry, the only difference (not insignificant) would be a shorter stem on H1 (probably 20mm shorter)
Correct, reach/stack are a matter of comfort vs aerodynamics/center of gravity. Since headtube angles, rake and trail are the same, handling will indeed be pretty much the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Project One actually does have the disc option, but it's hidden on the Emonda SLR 9 configurator under the frame options.
Thank you for the pointer. Price jumps to over US$12K for SLR9 with disc and Dura Ace Di2.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thank you for the pointer. Price jumps to over US$12K for SLR9 with disc and Dura Ace Di2.
Hehe yeah, like I find out the hard way when I ordered mine, an H1 Emonda SLR Disc frameset will cost you $3620 MSRP. If you want a rim brake H1 fit Emonda frameset, you can get the black/red/white one for just $2999. Oh well..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts