1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Edit: I confirmed that it does have both now (and in 2017), which makes it seem like a really good value....
Reducing the the price $1,000 does improve the value a bit.

FWIW- a guy in the local Trek shop speculated that price changes are due to mfrs' anxiety over the upcoming entry of Canyon into the US market.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reducing the the price $1,000 does improve the value a bit.

FWIW- a guy in the local Trek shop speculated that price changes are due to mfrs' anxiety over the upcoming entry of Canyon into the US market.
That could easily be the case. Either way, I like it. Trek is basically priced at the level of Giant and Fuji now on everything except the Madone. You add Canyon to the mix, and that's a nice set of options for consumers. Specialized and the Italian brands seem to be still going in the other direction. All the nice new models appear to be $4000 or higher for them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
almost 35% reduction in the price of the Domane SL frameset on the US site.

Interested if this is extended worldwide.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The revised SL is quite a nice bike for the money. The front IsoSpeed is not quite as functional as the Roubaix Futureshock, but it sure is better than nothing and some people may actually prefer the difference.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
The revised SL is quite a nice bike for the money. The front IsoSpeed is not quite as functional as the Roubaix Futureshock, but it sure is better than nothing and some people may actually prefer the difference.
Agreed re: Futureshock v IsoSpeed. And the Roubaix seat cluster, which doesn't get enough ink IMO, is also trick. If the Roubaix had the sweet Rovals found on the SL 6 Disc I'd probably be riding Specialized now. That, and if the LBS was more enthusiastic about winning my business.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed. At $1550 for the frameset, what's not to like? I was looking at an Emonda or a Litespeed Ti frameset as a potential upgrade to my Ridley, but this one is starting to win me over, especially since the Trek shop is the closest to my place by a significant margin and the people that work there are way laid back and super cool.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now, my favorite option (by a long shot) is to get the SL Frameset, switch over my 105 5800 and some of my components from my Ridley and then add a new Isocore or some other handlebar and a set of the new $1200 Bontrager carbon wheels or Chain Reaction Cycles Prime 50mm tubeless carbon clinchers. I will probably just do it a piece at a time and keep riding the Ridley or the Emonda while I am upgrading. I am going to go ahead and call this my final decision. Time to pull my pennies together and put this puppy in action!

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actual weight of an SL Disc version. I am guessing a rim brake bike is a pound or so lighter with similar wheels and components.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks for sharing these. Did that video really say the disc version could accomdate a 38 tire?

You've got Domane on the brain, and so do I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing these. Did that video really say the disc version could accomdate a 38 tire?

You've got Domane on the brain, and so do I.

No problem. That's exactly what the man said. Which means you could actually get away with running the disc version in a number of gravel events. That's so crazy. Lol, I absolutely suffer from Domane-itis right now. It's a bad butt set of wheels man.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I just rode a 2017 Domane SL 6 for a week, it was a nice bike but didn't feel like it was any more comfy over bumps than my Scott Addict.

Edit: I would note that the Bontrager Speed Stop brakes worked great.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The video says that ISO speed is proprietary. So I guess they have it patented. Anyone know? That would explain why nobody has copied it yet.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like those videos. This one is good too. It's pure trek propaganda, I know. But still fun...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OP80n76nz4Y

There's definitely some serious marketing in there, but I enjoy it anyway. I tested the original Domane when it came out, so I feel like I have a good idea of what I am getting into. I dig it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts