Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
You forgot about this entire thing from 2019 Vuelta?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mo...e-apologies-amid-vuelta-a-espana-controversy/

Valverde has a lot of say in that team and Mas is being handed the keys to the team. Lopez will never get those for multiple reasons including the simple fact he's not a Spaniard. A Spaniard will always be the top leader in that team and currently that is Valverde who has started to hand that over to Mas. It's also fairly well known that Valverde is part of Mr Unzue's inner circle.
Will Lopez be a GC leader, yes, but he'll never be the team leader there.
https://www.velonews.com/news/road/...l-lopez-loaded-with-promise-and-complexities/

I guess I will just say this and leave it alone. I find it interesting that you are the only one that seems to say these things, especially the comments about Valverde and his importance. That cycling media and journalists that are paid to find scoops and angles to help their sites and publications stand apart somehow keep missing that the whole Movistar setup actually revolves around Valverde, who personally selects and anoints the leader of the next generation seems implausible. I get that he has been a key rider for them and is one of their road captains as he heads toward retirement after a successful career. Some of this just comes off as over the top and bit of big stretch though. Moving on....

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A few interesting team updates:

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/12/arus-new-team-circus-wanty-goberts-new-name-daily-news-digest/

The team formerly known as Circus Wanty Gobert will now be known as Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert Matériaux at the world tour level. They have signed Louis Meintjes and a few other riders to fill out their roster and look set to go.

Rod Ellingworth unexpectedly abandoned his post (or was asked to) as the leader of Bahrain Merida. This team can't seem to fully get it together despite having a bunch of cash to throw around. Rumors have him returning to Ineos and I can't tell what really happened yet.

Qhubeka Assos (formerly NTT PC) have been busy and have signed approximately 25 riders including Aru, S. Henao, Simon Clark, etc. These guys are likely the best they could do under the circumstances with timing and they held on to a few of their guys like Nizzolo as well. It's not a roster that inspires exactly, but if Aru, Henao, and a couple of other guys can have bounce back or breakout seasons and Nizzolo can just do what he's been doing, they might actually be better than they were last year. Those are some big ifs though and the team kind of looks like CCC 2.0...

Much to my surprise, Mark Cavendish has signed a deal to return to Quickstep. He had a lot of success there, but I am surprised to see them interested given his recent performances or lack thereof. It sounds like they are planning to "rebuild" him step by step and I am hopeful given that I am one of the weirdos that really enjoys watching him when he's at this best. That being said, I am not sure this is a good use of a roster spot to be honest, but rumor has it he came with financial backing.

EF have been busy as well and have added Valgren, a young Columbian GC talent, and Will Barta. I hate seeing some of the guys they lost (Woods and Martinez in particular), but they bounced back really well. The team should be as good as usual and they are definitely one of my favorite squads to follow.

Kwiatkowski signed a multi year deal to return to Ineos as a super domestique which does not make me happy.

UAE added Majka, Trentin, and some climbing talent to support Pogacar. They are rumored to be pursuing Giro breakout star Almeida too.

Team Sunweb becomes Team DSM and the beat rolls on....

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Interesting article on cycling news that it's possible UAE team may have an option to get vaccinated in the UAE while at a January training camp. If it happens it will be the vaccine that is being developed in China. All members of the team will have the option to say yes or no. I could see a rider like Gaviria taking it as he's been unfortunate enough to have gotten Covid twice already.

I'm also surprised that Quickstep signed Cavendish. That's a very odd signing.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I agree. It will be interesting to see how teams navigate the testing and how crowds at races are managed in 2021, if we start the season on time. We'll see how Cav performs as well. It doesn't sound like they have high expectations, they have already indicated that he won't race the the TdF and that he will be expected to work for teammates.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
on another note, the new look of the site is interesting. Still trying to figure it out, but a little change and updating is refreshing.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I suspect the Spanish races in the early season will follow what la Vuelta did which appeared to work fairly well. All of those races are currently planning on racing.

Agree the new look of the site is interesting. It's going to take some getting used to.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
You forgot about this entire thing from 2019 Vuelta?

Movistar and López issue apologies amid Vuelta a España controversy

Valverde has a lot of say in that team and Mas is being handed the keys to the team. Lopez will never get those for multiple reasons including the simple fact he's not a Spaniard. A Spaniard will always be the top leader in that team and currently that is Valverde who has started to hand that over to Mas. It's also fairly well known that Valverde is part of Mr Unzue's inner circle.
Will Lopez be a GC leader, yes, but he'll never be the team leader there.
I know you're a Moviestar and Valverde jocker. But must you take every opportunity to slight any rider that is non-Spaniard and bolster everyone who is (I'm exaggerating a tad, but not far off). I know Moviestar wants to stick to a Spanish as a GC, and their odd fantasy that somehow Valverde will do something in a grand tour, but look at the REALITY. Jumbo has improved dramatically. UAE has improved dramatically. Sky will always be in the game. All those teams have one thing in common, they go after talents, regardless of nationality. Moviestar likes to stick with the mediocre Spaniards. What has MV done in the LAST DECADE in the grand tour scenes? They have been great at being a 2nd tier team.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hirschi and DSM unexpectedly terminate his contract with one year remaining. There's no word yet on where he is heading. Ineos have been involved with this kind of thing in the past though (just ask Trek Segafredo). Whoever gets this guy right now, scores big in my opinion. He is one of the best young talents out there.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hirschi and DSM unexpectedly terminate his contract with one year remaining. There's no word yet on where he is heading. Ineos have been involved with this kind of thing in the past though (just ask Trek Segafredo). Whoever gets this guy right now, scores big in my opinion. He is one of the best young talents out there.

Hirschi is being linked with UAE Team Emirates.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The entire thing with Hirschi was strange due to the timing of it.
He reportedly got fed up with the strict culture at Sunweb/DSM. I guess Cancellara (his agent) forced a release as a result.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
He reportedly got fed up with the strict culture at Sunweb/DSM. I guess Cancellara (his agent) forced a release as a result.

That strict culture thing seems to have been the reason for a lot of riders leaving there. There have been reports about that for awhile. I'm surprised it would be anymore strict than Sky/Ineos. However, from what I've gathered is most teams are somewhere between the full on strict culture that Sunweb (and it seems Ineos) have and the complete opposite controlled chaos of Movistar.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts