Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just back from my second ride of the Maratona dles Dolomites.

In case you don't know of the Maratona, it's a Gran Fondo, around Alta Badia, in Südtirol, in the North East of Italy. An amazingly beautiful place.

Over 8,000 riders from all over the world take part, and the Maratona is even broadcast live on Rai3.

You can choose from 3 distances: 55km; 106km; or 138km. All three go over the Passo Campalongo, Pordoi, Sella, and Gardena. The main challenge on the 138 KM ride is the Passo Giau, which is a leg breaker. An hour long suffer fest at +/-10km with an average grade of 9.3%.

We drove down on Friday, from outside of Nurenberg, where I was visiting a friend and his family. Once we crossed the Italian border we were within sniffing distance of our destination.

I could tell we were close when I started spotting cyclists on the road

After an hour of snaking up a mountain road (the same used by the peleton on the aborted-Kronneplatz stage in the Giro this year) we arrived.

We picked up our numbers and checked out the expo village.

Here's the 3 courses.

The Italian army helped with the traffic

Here's the Expo

For you Pinarello lovers, here's their stand

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
20th Maratona dles Dolomites **part 2**

We checked into our hotel, and took the bikes out for a spin.

Here's a shot from the Campalongo, which is the first climb of the day.

Here's a shot of a stretch of road leading to the finish (two days before the ride)

Here's what I was riding

On Sunday, the fun began. Up at 4:45 to get dressed, have breakfast, and ride down to the start. You had to be there by 5:55. My group managed to get started around 6:30. Arm + Knee warmers as well as a vest were a good idea, it was around 6° C in the morning.

Once we got started it was rush hour for the first hour to hour and a half. Not a surprise considering over 8,000 cyclists were there.

Here's it starting to open up.

Here's a view looking down

So, after 6:28 over 9 climbs with a total of over 4,000 meters of elevation I was done. Not an amazing time, but it's tough to train for mountains when you live below sea level in the Netherlands :wink:

The winner's time (there were 30 'elite' riders competing) was around 4:20. Raimundas Rumsas was 2nd.

A beer and a sausage, and then we had to ride 7 kms back up hill to our hotel.

Thanks for reading/looking

·
go up
653 Posts
Very Nice! I like the shot looking over the valley from the Campalongo.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Memories...

Awesome pictures. I used to live in that area when I was stationed with the U.S. Air Force at Aviano. Every chance I got I put my bike on the rack, drove to Arraba at the base of the Pordoi, and rode those climbs. I have been over all of the climbs on that route....just not in one day. I remember the Giau being the hardest, the Pordoi being the most fun, and the Sella the most picturesque. Trying to figure out how to move back there again.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bikemoore said:
Awesome pictures. I used to live in that area when I was stationed with the U.S. Air Force at Aviano. Every chance I got I put my bike on the rack, drove to Arraba at the base of the Pordoi, and rode those climbs. I have been over all of the climbs on that route....just not in one day. I remember the Giau being the hardest, the Pordoi being the most fun, and the Sella the most picturesque. Trying to figure out how to move back there again.
wow, sounds like a great assignment! no doubt that Giau is a leg breaker, and Sella stunning.

Can't really remember what the views from Giau were like, I tried to only look 20-30 meters ahead :) Last year I totally demoralized myself when i looked up and saw how many switchbacks there were. This year I just kept my HR between 160-170 and rode it in 57 mins, or about 6 minutes faster than last year.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Absolutely freaking outstanding pictures! I will be there nest year for the Gran Fondo and for some holidays -- I cannot wait!

Oh, and one other thing: Rumsas riding to "win" the Gran Fondo's is such a douchebag move -- if he had a conscience, I don't see how he could live with himself!

A+

Philippe

p.s. were you riding w/ the Swiss squad?? (last picture)

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
philippec said:
Absolutely freaking outstanding pictures! I will be there nest year for the Gran Fondo and for some holidays -- I cannot wait!

Oh, and one other thing: Rumsas riding to "win" the Gran Fondo's is such a douchebag move -- if he had a conscience, I don't see how he could live with himself!

A+

Philippe

p.s. were you riding w/ the Swiss squad?? (last picture)
the place is so damn beautiful that it's almost impossible to take a bad pic.

it's a great organization: effecient, friendly, etc. i've never done a cyclosportif, so i can;t compare it to how they are in France. one of the guys i did it with will be at the Etappe, so i'll hear his thoughts in a week.

from what i've heard rumsas has been doing gran fondos to pay the rent for the past few years. i agree, it's lame, but i guess the guys got to feed his family and pay his legal bills :wink:

as far as the suisse tops, that's what my 'team' of: 3 Scots; 1 French-Canadian; 1 Englishman; and 1 Yank (yours truly, on the left of the last pic) wore as our team kit :)

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Einstruzende said:
How does one register for one of these events? I'd love to travel across the pond to partake in one.
through the ol' world wide web, in early october. http://www.maratona.it

check itout, and make sure you write it down in your agenda, because it fills ups quickly.

you can also go via a package deal like gran fondo tours or the carpenter-phinney program, but you'll have to add some cash on top.

regardless, the event is HIGHLY recommeded

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
botto said:
through the ol' world wide web, in early october. http://www.maratona.it

check itout, and make sure you write it down in your agenda, because it fills ups quickly.

you can also go via a package deal like gran fondo tours or the carpenter-phinney program, but you'll have to add some cash on top.

regardless, the event is HIGHLY recommeded
Great pics Botto!!! Glad you had a great time. I tried, but my name wasn't drawn from the lottery. After I didn't get selected (along with 7,000 others) I did get an e-mail from the Maratona organisers that told me to ask the Holomites tour company http://www.holimites.com about a hotel+registration package. They had an opening for me but the price was a little more than what I was willing to pay. If they use the same lottery process for 2007 and you don't get selected and you can afford it, the vacation package is the way to go. After watching the race on T.V., I made up my mind that even if I don't get selected for 2007, I'll dish out the extra cash for the experience. I'm going for the Italian Prestigio next year http://www.compagniaeditoriale.it/cicloturismo/prestigio.asp and more than likely it will be on the list for 2007.

P.S.- I'm so glad that Negrini beat Rumsas.....

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
merckxman said:
...will post my photos soon. Great event, highly recommended.
were you part of the phinney-carpenter or gf tours group? they seemed to have been the lion's share of riders from the us (assuming your from the us :) )

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks kyler. i managed to get in last year due to my getting my entry in super early (as in an hour after they opened up the registration) and my NL address i suppose.

this year a buddy signed me up as part of a team, with 4 folk living in germany, me in NL, and the last in the UK.

if you have the chance, then definitelky GO FOR IT. a wonderful, and punishing, day :)

kyler2001 said:
Great pics Botto!!! Glad you had a great time. I tried, but my name wasn't drawn from the lottery. I registered as an Italian (do to my address and resident status) but I should have tried to enter as an American and used my parents address in the states (Later, I heard it was much easier for foreigners to get chosen). After I didn't get selected (along with 7,000 others) I did get an e-mail from the Maratona organisers that told me to ask the Holomites tour company http://www.holimites.com about a hotel+registration package. They had an opening for me but the price was a little more than what I was willing to pay. If they use the same lottery process for 2007 and you don't get selected and you can afford it, the vacation package is the way to go. After watching the race on T.V., I made up my mind that even if I don't get selected for 2007, I'll dish out the extra cash for the experience. I'm going for the Italian Prestigio next year http://www.compagniaeditoriale.it/cicloturismo/prestigio.asp and more than likely it will be on the list for 2007.

·
merckxman
2,217 Posts
Go July 16th, the roads will be closed again!

You can do four of the passes that were in the Maratona. Enough for lots of fun and spectacular scenery; and you won't arrive close to death (smile). And, it's FREE.

http://www.sellarondabikeday.com/bike_ita.htm

"Dopo il grande successo della passata edizione, domenica 16.07.2006, verranno chiusi al traffico automobilistico tutti i passi dolomitici intorno al Sella riservandoli esclusivamente ai ciclisti.
Domenica, 16.07.2006 dalle ore 8:30 alle 15:00 tutti i passi dolomitici (Sella, Gardena, Pordoi e Campolongo) saranno riservati ai ciclisti .

La manifestazione non competitiva è aperta a tutti ed è gratuita!"

kyler2001 said:
Great pics Botto!!! Glad you had a great time. I tried, but my name wasn't drawn from the lottery. I registered as an Italian (do to my address and resident status) but I should have tried to enter as an American and used my parents address in the states (Later, I heard it was much easier for foreigners to get chosen). After I didn't get selected (along with 7,000 others) I did get an e-mail from the Maratona organisers that told me to ask the Holomites tour company http://www.holimites.com about a hotel+registration package. They had an opening for me but the price was a little more than what I was willing to pay. If they use the same lottery process for 2007 and you don't get selected and you can afford it, the vacation package is the way to go. After watching the race on T.V., I made up my mind that even if I don't get selected for 2007, I'll dish out the extra cash for the experience. I'm going for the Italian Prestigio next year http://www.compagniaeditoriale.it/cicloturismo/prestigio.asp and more than likely it will be on the list for 2007.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.