Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 punctures in as many weeks, I decided I need some solid tires. Just today I observed my training circuit closely and about 25 miles are plain bad road full of debris, dust and stones with some potholes in the mix too.

For comfort I suppose I could go up to 25 and probably be as fast as I am now.

Is there any limit on how big a tire one can mount. I saw on SB's site that rim width plays a role, but I imagine that you also need some space from the frame. Where would I need to have a look at to see which tires I can put on?

I suppose 25's shouldn't be a problem. what about 28's?

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
The limiting factor will not be the rim width as lots of people (me included) use 32mm tires on OpenPro rims. The big limit will be what the frame and fork will take. My dirt road bike will take 28mm tires and my carbon roadbike will only take 25mm tires. You would be wise to borrow some wheels/tires to try if possible.

And 25mm tires will not slow you down. I use them exclusively on my road bike and air them to 80 - 100psi max. Usually I run 'em at 90-95 and they're great.

·
Super Moderator
40,608 Posts
Mavic will tell you not to use anything bigger than 28s on OPs, but as the other poster notes, you can stretch that a bit (plus, many tires' actual widths are a couple of millimeters lower than their nominal widths, so their 32s are more like 28s, etc.) As further proof, Mavic Open Sports are spec'd for tires up to 32, and the rims are the same size as Open Pros (i.e., 622 x 15 ETRTO.)

I run 28s on my rain/winter bike, and the ride is noticeably better than the 25s that go on the summer bike. I have been considering going to 32s this winter.

·
Banned
428 Posts
28c GP 4 seasons are the best tires out there. You might have trouble getting one on the front or maybe even the rear. IMHO anyone running less than 25's who's over 140 or 150lbs is not thinking clearly. I can run a 28 at 80psi @175lbs or a 25 @ 90psi even less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts